Author Topic: How to deal with seeds in ideas genie  (Read 3743 times)

Offline AuntPol

How to deal with seeds in ideas genie
« on: September 22, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
Hi Folks,

How do you deal with seeds in ideas genie.

I have dozens of packets ready for next year - would I just set up a garden area of 'seeds'

If I do this what do I do when it comes time for planting?  New records for the germinated seeds?

I would also like to try to make myself a schedule for seed sowing and transplanting - would I use tasks to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Offline AuntPol

Re: How to deal with seeds in ideas genie
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Oh Pooh!

I've messed up.  I followed another thread on here and made a seperate garden area for seeds.  All good.  Except that I listed the tasks for the back garden instead of the seed area.  I cannot find a way to move these tasks to the right area or even a way to delete them so I can start again.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

EDIT:  Ok, I finally found the delete button and reentered the tasks in the right place.  Only now a task that I had set for 1st march is showing in every single month for next year.  Feel like I am going nuts because I have checked, double checked and triple checked and this only has one date attached to it so I don't understand why its appearing in every month.  What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:11:32 PM by AuntPol »

Offline AuntPol

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:51 PM »
Ignore my hissy fit .. solved it.

Now gonna throw another one cause I'm such an idiot for taking up board space.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Hi Annie
We've been out most of the day at a family birthday party gathering. Just home and see you've solved this yourself (Phew!).

Read over this exercise:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/Vegetables/
That project explains the mechanism built into Ideas Genie for recording events related to seed - sowing etc. The solution is modelled on a method used and described to me by an Ideas Genie customer who used to grow about 180 seed packets each year.

Offline AuntPol

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »
Hi George,

I was just tired and in pain and kept making a mess of everything.  All sorted now thank heavens.  Amazing what a cuppa and some headache tablets will do.

I should really get off the computer but I am determined to finished do these seed packets.

One thing I have realised is that I won't have enough space to sow everything I want to.  I have a greenhouse (brand new) but no heater as yet (saving up) so I only have the kitchen worktop and windowsills on which to sow seeds.   

Would appreciate advise on getting a heater - how to use etc... should I put that in a seperate topic?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 10:18:50 AM »
Hi Annie
Yes, start a new topic for the Heater. I dont have one in my greenhouse so cant advise there.
Lets hear what the others have to say when you add your new topic.