Author Topic: Shoot  (Read 4199 times)

Offline mendipdobbin

Shoot
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »
I'm going through the laborious process of adding all the plants in my garden to my Ideas Genie database. Plant cultivation and care is important for me (being a relative newcomer to gardening), but I just found this great web site where I can find a lot of the info I'm looking for:
 http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/sitePage.php?pageid=44&name=what-is-shoot
Use this link to search for a particular plant:
 http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/sitePage.php?pageid=8&name=search

It actually seems to do a lot of what Ideas Genie does too! I.e. personal garden layout, plant lists, personal calendar & task lists... But I prefer to keep my plant data where I can back it all up - not online somewhere where I have no control over backups, so I for one am sticking with Ideas Genie. Any chance of some collaboration between Ideas Genie and Shoot though? A combined database would be fantastic!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
Interesting!

Thanks for posting this, Clair. Ive had a quick peep, and will return for a more in depth look tomorrow.
Nice to see another great resource.
From my experience, I can say that getting accuracy in plant names and plant data is very time consuming pastime!

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »
I'm going through the laborious process of adding all the plants in my garden to my Ideas Genie database.

We're also at this stage at the moment in our IG Pro, but we like to think of it as a labour of love.  ;)

Anyway, glad to see you've decided to stick with Ideas Genie.  We can't praise George enough for such a splendid program. (And NO, we're not on commission for saying this, it's just that it can't be said enough.  ;D )

Finally, welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:37:08 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline mendipdobbin

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

You're right of course; I'm enjoying it really! And learning a lot while I do it too. My main problem is identifying the plants I didn't put in, and which don't have labels (or have unreadable ones). I can usually get the genera, but after that it's a bit of a lottery.This web site does have quite a lot of species in its database which is helping. The RHS one isn't so good for me because I'm not a member (yet!) so I get a restricted list of plants. Anyhow...bad weather forecast for this weekend, so I know what I'll be doing!

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »
If you need help with plant identification then you'll find there are a lot of very helpful people on this forum.  Don't be afraid to ask.  We do and it pays dividends.  After all, we're all here for the same reason - we have a love for plants and wish to learn as much as possible and to share our gardening experiences with other people.

Just recently we have posted photos of plants that have appeared in our back garden that we couldn't positively identify through research we did beforehand.  Forum members came to our assistance and pointed us in the right direction to name them.  :)

If you have access to a digital camera then give it a try.  It gets the members' grey matter working if it's a particularly unusual variety.  ;)

We're sad to hear the weather is going to be bad this weekend, as we have so much to do in the garden and were planning to get out there.   :(  However, we're in the northeast of England and do tend to get the least severe of weather that other parts of the country are getting.  Need to check the local forecast.

Good luck with your data inputting.  :)