Author Topic: Avondale Nurseries, Bagington nr Coventry.  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Palustris

Avondale Nurseries, Bagington nr Coventry.
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
http://www.avondalenursery.co.uk/index.php
We spent yesterday at Avondale Nurseries, Bagington near Coventry Airport. Their display garden of Asters, Sanguisorba and Geums, plus lots of other herbaceous stuff is to die for. I would have dug it up and transported it to our garden. Beautiful and I am not easily impressed by other folks gardens.
Sadly they had sold out of Geums, but we did get some Sanguisorba and other things. We really must go again early in the year next time.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Avondale Nurseries, Bagington nr Coventry.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
Now that is a garden I would dearly love to visit Eric. Asters and Geums do really well in my garden - reliably hardy and floriferous 8)

I'm pretty certain I grew a Sanguisorba before, but I cant recall which variety. Ive a plant with leaves which look like it - I'll check tomorrow. I bought it at the Dorothy Clive garden ;D
What did you buy? Do you have any in your garden already?

Were their Geums still in flower?

A bit of an interrogation here Eric - finally, did you take any photos?

Offline Palustris

Re: Avondale Nurseries, Bagington nr Coventry.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
If you were st D.C in Spring then the nursery was there 2 years ago. But lots of others sell Sanguisorba,  especially S. canadensis. They have 'bottle brush flowers on  tall stems (well that one does, there are dwarf ones too).
Bought 25 quids worth of plants, but no Geums, he had sold out (end of season really). No Asters as they were mostly A. novi-anglia which die of mildew here and what he had left of the other types we already have.  Might have spent more but his card machine was bust and that was all the money we had.
Some of the Geums were in flower, Mai Tai is lovely, but there is a long waiting list for it.
Lots of pictures waiting to be processed.