Author Topic: Editing species  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Editing species
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
Not long after I started using IGPro many moons ago, I entered a bit of extra info (info for groups/pruning groups for Clematis) along with the actual species name in GA100S05. E.g. in one species box I typed 'alpina (Group 2)'. I hadn't at that time realized that the (group 2) part should have been put into the Sub Species box. It did work for my purpose but now I'd like to tidy things up somewhat and tried in GA100S05 to 'Edit highlighted text'. I couldn't delete the (group 2) part of the text however. Is there a way of doing this? I noted in Tutorial #5 that there are two cases and that the example was for the case where the species does NOT already exist. I looked but couldn't locate the other case in the tutorials.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Editing species
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
Hi Trevor, and its great to hear from you again :)

Editing the species name:
Start GA004.
Double click on plant name, takes you to screen GA100S36.
In screen GA100S36, click Edit Profile, takes you to screen GA100S02.
In GA100S32, click Work with Species, takes you to screen GA100S05.
A list of all the species in that genus appear. Click on the one to be edited and click Edit highlighted line.

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
Yes I did that George (it's just started throwing it down with SLEET here!?!) and deleted the necessary bit, clicked 'Change' and just got the message 'This species already exists'. So the 'deleted' bit remains in the species box.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:13:34 PM by Trevor Ellis »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »
SLEET? Already? Its cold here, but I'm working away between the showers.

OK - and is there a species of that name already (in that Genus) i.e. a duplicate?

If yes, edit the plant with the wrong species name and select the GOOD species name, and rename it to that species.
Do that for all plants with the BAD species name.
When you change the last one, you will be asked if you wish to delete the redundant species (with the BAD name).
Does that do the trick?

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
Yep - sleet!  We thought that it was hail so my son-in-law went outside to check - sleet for sure. That really tops the year!
I'll try your suggestion ASAP George - just been summoned for dinner. Will let you know the result.

Trevor

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
All sorted George - bit of a job but positive result.

Cheers,

Trevor

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:11:05 PM »
It can be when there are duplicates. I have to check what data there is to the one to be deleted and copy and paste to the other, etc.
Another trick: If the one with the wrong name (lets call it P1) has all correct data etc, and the one with the correct name (lets call it P2) is new and has no data, I do this:-
  • Rename P2 - giving it an imaginary cultivar name
  • Rename P1 to correct name
  • Delete P2

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
Yes, that was what I was doing George. I just hoped that I could edit the species name by clicking  'Edit highlighted line' in GA100S05. By the way re. something else where is GA100S09 located?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:23:48 PM by Trevor Ellis »