Author Topic: Herb Comfrey in the Vegetable Garden  (Read 4241 times)

Offline bossgard

Herb Comfrey in the Vegetable Garden
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

In the latest issue of one of my gardening magazines, was this tip (below) sent to them, which the magazine published. It sounds like a very good addition to my vegetable garden beds. That is, until I read the part about it being an invasive plant, with a deep tap root. Can I get rid of the plants if I they become a nuisance, or will I be fighting the comfrey if it starts to take over my veggie plot?

The idea about it adding all those nutrients would be a positive for my eventual veggie harvests!
Anybody had any experience with this variety, or working with any other comfreys in this manner?

I’ve googled the above variety and all indications are that just the plants are available in the UK, not US. Thompson and Morgan (US) indicates having seeds available for ‘Herb Comfrey’ #90276 that might produce the same results.

It all sounds wonderful for my garden beds if it all will come together! Any advice?

"Comfrey Crop -
I've planted a border of least invasive Bocking 14 comfrey all around my vegetable garden. Throughout the growing season, I break off the comfrey leaves and line the ground around my plants and between the rows with them. As the leaves decompose, they deliver all the organic nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and other trace elements that were drawn up by comfreys deep taproot, and at the same time the leaves double as mulch, keeping obnoxious weeds away. At the end of the growing season, I let the comfrey flower as a beautiful grand finale for the garden!"

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Re: Herb Comfrey in the Vegetable Garden
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »
We bought plants of this same variety with the same concerns.  We put them in their own little bed in the wild area of our garden intending to harvest them regularly to make liquid feed but the area proved to be too dry or shady and I think they have all died :(  I'd be interested to know if the method suggested does work but like you I suspect it could be too good to be true.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
We were given some lemon balm and other invasive plants so I bought a very large plastic container with drainage holes and sunk it deep into the ground with the lip level with the surface at the end of a soft fruit area. The plants are flourishing but after more than ten years have never managed to invade the rest of the garden. Just some water from a hose in very dry seasons is all the attention they have received.

Eric H

Eric H

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
That's how they seem to grow mint at Harlow Carr, Eric.  Sadly in my experience mint always manages to escape somehow, so I just grow new or different varieties in pots now!  I've had good success with root restricter bags in the past.  I used one for our most recent fig plant, and the one I bought for our son's garden.

I think I shall buy some more comfrey and try again.