Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

Pruning apple trees

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
I gave my apple trees a fairly severe pruning this year as they were neglected for a few years.
I pruned to have lateral branches and pruned off any upright growth on the laterals to a few leaf buds.
The one shown is an example of the reaction by the trees.
Long upright growth.
The one in the photo (I think its a Grenadier but need to check) is used for pollination for neighbouring trees, including my Bramley.
Over the years, Ive  pruned it to make a leafy arch at the top of my main path (it looks really good!).
You can see how the long (and strong) stems have sprouted up in this season, mostly about 3 ft.
Should I prune them lightly now, or wait until winter again?

The special apple in the photo is called James ;D

NightHawk:
I like the arch-effect over your path George - looks really good.

Strong enough to support a budding gardener too ;)

I notice a nice crop of nettles in the foreground though George.  Is that your contribution for a 'going for wild look'  :D

ideasguy:
Ah yes, the nettles :-[
That photo is taken the part of the garden which is not included in the normal Garden Tour ;D
There are vegetable areas (used for rotation), three apple trees, raspberries, a rhododendron garden, an old shed for storing useful things ::) the concrete base for a new (when I have time) 8ft x 12 ft shed and then the "utility area" aka the composting department and other (more) useful things ::).
I accumulated a number of large sand bags which I use for composting grass cuttings, weeds etc and also for storing shreddings. The shreddings take a while to break down but make lovely dark compost for spreading over the flower beds.
When vegetable areas go fallow, nettles quickly reestablish in the fertile soil. That's the raison d'ĂȘtre for the new Rotovator ;)

NightHawk:
Okay George - a nice attempt at grovelling for forgiveness there  :D  I see your reasoning  ;)

If nettles were beautiful flowers, instead of weeds, they would be one of the most welcome, hardy and prolific bloomers in our gardens.  Sadly they're not, and are a pain to get rid of once they arrive  :(

ideasguy:
Indeed ;D ;D ;D

Are nettles wildlife friendly?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version