Seed Exchange > Seed to share

Lilium lancifolium var. flaviflorum

(1/4) > >>

ideasguy:
A surprise for Eric.
These (below) were grown from the seed you sent me a few years ago Eric.
Am I right in saying they are  var. flaviflorum?
On the internet, the species Lilium lancifolium (in the main) seems to be orange. These ones grown from your seed are yellow.
Ive molycuddled these a bit, in the greenhouse. From tiny strap leaves the first year to something which looked like flowering size growth this year. I had four pots of them and planted them in different locations. The slugs devoured the first pot planting (but they are making an attempt to regrow). I put slug pellets around the second planting, but after the initial carnage, the slug pellets obviously washed into the soil and the next braver generation came along and devoured then as well. They climbed the stems and chewed the flower heads off!
The ones in these photos were planted in a small dryish island bed at the base of a small tree in my front garden, more slug pellets etc etc. Bingo, I finally got a few flowers!
I have to say, they were well worth the effort - they are beautful flowers. Many thanks Eric.

Palustris:
Good oh. Mine have reached a good 8 feet tall this year despite the Lily Beetles.

ideasguy:
I didnt realise they would grow THAT tall!
Lily beetles,huh :o
Maybe Ive been blaming those poor slugs and snails in the wrong - do you find they are also a problem?

Palustris:
Yes, I would say that almost every Lily this year has had snail damage. The Lily beetle damage comes much later, when the plants are well grown.

ideasguy:
I see. All plants are at their most vulnerable (and obviously tastiest) when they first emerge from the ground. Once they had "their heads up" I thought they were safe from slugs and snails. Not so this year!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version