Author Topic: Password Facility  (Read 4723 times)

Offline AnthonyM

Password Facility
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
I'm using Bank Genie to monitor/control my home accounts. I did consider buying Bank Genie Pro but felt that I wouldn't use the majority of the Business aspects of the software. However, with previous accounting software that I have used, I have always had the option to set a password. This is really useful if you're running the software on a laptop particularly if to are storing all of the account details, eg. sort code, account number. Would it be possible to add the security module from Bank Genie Pro to Bank Genie?

Anthony   

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Password Facility
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »
I did have Security on the Bank Genie 3 Anthony.
The security in Bank Genie Pro is much more "robust", and since Bank Genie 4 is designed for ease of use I decided to drop security in that version.
Bank Genie 4 users can upgrade to Pro at any time and the data can be easily imported from BG4.
In preferences, a user can pick and choose from the additional features. When all additional features are disabled, the system is pretty much like Bank Genie 4 :)

Offline AnthonyM

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I understand your reasoning for not adding security to Bank Genie 4. I hadn't really looked at the facility to deselect features in the tree a very useful option. Having only just purchased Bank Genie I would like to upgarde to pro! How much will this cost and how do I do it? Will I need a new registration no? as before I would like to pay using Paypal.

Anthony

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
I apologise for that Anthony. I'll send you an email with details and an offer  ;)

Theres an alternative method, using Bank Genie 4.
Keep your data on an external drive, say a Flash Drive.
That way, you can attach the Flash when required, and remove after use.
Do backups to a second Flash for security.
Would that option work for you instead of having to upgrade?

Offline AnthonyM

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
Knowing me I'd probably be chasing round the house trying to find the correct USB drive. I do back ups to an external drive but it needs mains power so a little cumbersome to have attached all the time! I think the upgrade would be easier.

I've been playing with the Transaction Analyser over the last couple of days a powerful and very flexible facility. The more I use the software the more I'm impressed with it.

Anthony

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
Deal done Anthony ;)
Hope you enjoy using Bank Genie Pro.

Thanks for your encouraging comments Anthony. The Transaction Analyser becomes more useful as your data amasses. It allows you to query and extract large amounts of data with ease.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »
I've been playing with the Transaction Analyser over the last couple of days a powerful and very flexible facility. The more I use the software the more I'm impressed with it.
Hello Anthony, and welcome to the forum. I must say that I am a terrific fan of Bank Genie Pro 4. Strangely I don't use the Transaction Analyser very much but I find the P & L Reports under Business (BS410S01) absolutely invaluable (and I am retired and not in business). The ability to include and exclude categories, separate income from expenses, set the time scales (such as 6th April 2011 - 5th April 2012) made my tax return an absolute doddle. I started using Bank Genie Pro 4 when the tax year started so I was able to put it to the test. I did my tax return online so the whole painful business was over remarkably quickly.
Best wishes
Eric

PS 16:50 hrs: I spoke too soon. I was just checking something in a P & L Report and found that three items should have been in a different sub-category. They were scattered over four months so I got up the Transaction Analyser and found them in no time. I was able to change the entries straight from there.
Eric
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:54:28 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline AnthonyM

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
Hello Eric

Thanks for the welcome and the useful information about the P&L facility. I've only been using Bank Genie and now Bank Genie Pro for about a week with my actual data but I must say that it's very easy to use. I'll certainly have a detailed look at the P&L module. I've used quite a few accounts programs over the years for my home accounts, starting with Microsoft Money but even after a limited period it is clear that Bank Genie Pro is a very powerful and flexible piece of software. Also you couldn't ask for better customer service than that offered by George.

Anthony 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »
Gosh, thanks Anthony & Eric :-[

The majority of reports in Bank Genie are in the Transaction Analyser program (BS408). Its a bit over subtle for some, so I find myself pointing new users to the Reports pop-up in BS408.
To avoid repetition, Ive explained it in a new Getting Started document. Read about that here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1805.0.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:17:31 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
Strangely I don't use the Transaction Analyser very much
May I take back that remark. Since making it I have discovered how powerful and useful this facility is. I don't know why I didn't take to it earlier  ???
Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
Yes, Eric - its the query and reporting hub in both Bank Genie and Bank Genie Pro.
When you click Print, did you notice the LARGE PRINT option?
Only a few at present, but a start!
Also, when you use the Print>Preview option, you can use the Print Preview toolbar to zoom up to as much as 500%

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
Thank you George. I have been playing with Transaction Analyser a bit more and I can see that it would be even simpler to use for my tax returns than the P & L reports. I set the tax year dates, selected the bank and the categories I needed and it was all there. Being able to click through the tax years is great. The print review and enlargement options are very useful features too. I should have explored this feature sooner.
Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »
Its nice to find the extras under the bonnet, Eric.
I'm very pleased you find it useful.
Tip 1:
Right click in the transactions list for more options.
Tip 2:
If you right click on the date control field, a shortcut menu appears.
You can select From=Very first date
Likewise in the TO date control field
That allows you to quickly select EVERY transaction in your database :)
(This was developed following a request from Barry)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:56:26 AM by ideasguy »