Garden Buildings, Garden Tools and Equipment > General discussion

My new Label Printer

(1/8) > >>

ideasguy:
Ive had great difficulty with finding a reliable pen to mark the "common or garden" pot stick labels this year and as a result Ive lost the names of named plants which I bought as plug plants and potted up.

As you know we have a good labelling program in Ideas Genie Pro. The best results Ive recorded has been in using my laser printer on label stock sent by Paul (newPlantsguy on the forum) to develop the label templates for his nursery stock use.
The sheets are expensive and our designs to date have been to print on an A4 page. Great if you need multiple labels for one plant, or one or more labels for multiple plants, as you can only print a full sheet of labels.

I needed something to print a reliable and durable label for a single plant on demand.
I spoke to Paul and he told me he uses Brother printers on laminated tape stock.
I did my research and bought this:
http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/215760/s_level/223150/s_product/PT2730VPZU1
I paid about half the price shown here by buying on Amazon.
I spoke to Brother to make sure I could print labels from my computer and I'm sure you know why ;)

The printer arrived on Tue last so I had a few hours to play with it before leaving for Manchester on Wed.
The good news is, I can design labels within Ideas Genie for use with this printer, and printed a few samples at 2am on Wed morning, so retired for the "evening" well contented.

Its an expensive little printer, and the tapes are also expensive.
Ive bought samples of 9mm, 12mm - and 23mm tape was supplied with the printer.
However, it will be worth it to mark a plant, leave it on the outdoor staging or plant it outdoors and return a few years later and still have a legible label.

Is it too much for the amateur gardener, I wonder? Is it available in the US Toby?

Palustris:
Beyond my pocket, so I will stick to pencils which last a couple of years at least.

NightHawk:
Very expensive indeed  :(

Not appropriate for our small garden and limited planting, but someone with large gardens and lots of plants could find it beneficial.

Good luck with yours George.  Time will tell if the cost of the replacement tapes pay for themselves in the time it saves you to label all your plants.

Follow up reports would be interesting George.

bossgard:

George:

It’s interesting that you have brought this Topic up for discussion. I'm all for this discussion, because as you point out there is trouble when you are using laser printers (not Inkject) as your method of labeling your plant starts or other forms of plant propagation. I have both mono and color laser printers, and both warn me (as you point out) not to use laser label stock which has the carrier (backing) sheet exposed. Brothers user’s guides suggest that label sheets also should be hand fed in their printers, too.

The most useful GA048 label layout that you made up for me uses Avery (and other mfg’s comparables) #8667, a 20x4, with a total of labels of 80 sheets per page. It’s very useful in printing my seed starts for my veggies. But the only way for me to use a full sheet of 80 labels, was to make 4 (horizontal row) labels per quantity. That would leave me a choice of 20 (the vertical rows) varieties, which isn’t to bad a quantity for seed starts, where I can plan ahead, which I am doing with my veggie bed layout plans as much as possible.

This size label fits my 4” overall length of potstics (the label mount) and just fits in the space between the light rack and the seed trays. I use the transparent return address labels ½”x1-3/4”, I have been able to obtain label stock here in the US, from Avery, 3M, and even generic house brands. So they should be easy to find at your local office supply store. (Avery - #8667, 3M – 3400R, Generic – compatibles.)

George, I’m curious as to why you selected as your Brothers P-touch printer a model with attached keyboard, when you are a software developer? I’d rather make my labels from my plant inventory data, and then they are all spelled correctly (if entered correctly??). Without having done very much research as of yet, I am leaning towards the purchase of a Brothers #PT2430PC, which looks like it will take a myriad of label sizes and colors, and cut various label lengths. It’s also USB attached. And I know, that you will love making up all the layouts for us users! The footprint of this printer will also fit my desk area better.

There link is here: http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=PT2430PC&tab=review#BVRRWidgetID

When you talked to Brothers, did you ask them what ‘type’ of label might be most suitable for the average gardener to use, for propagation, greenhouse, and outdoor use? There suggestions might be very useful with this discussion. Also do Brother Printers only print in black ink, and/or can they print full color photos on labels? With your wonderful software modules that we have to work with, we can do that now. Basically the rule I follow is that I can use my Inkjet Printers for indoor use and laser for outdoor use. Usually you can find label stock suitable for Inkjet and Laser printers with durable adhesive (look for Identification Label stock) to fit your label requirements.

So the questions at hand now, are which of the Brothers PTouch tapes is best to use in our gardening world either as Beginners, Intermediates or Professionals?

- Toby

P.S. I also have information on DIRECTLY printing by laser onto potstic and other signage stock for gardeners. It can be expensive though!

ideasguy:
Don't buy that just yet Toby.

The PT2730 I selected comes with software and drivers.
Its recommended for Horticulture.
It uses TZ tapes, just like the model you told us about. I'm pretty sure the tapes are identical.
Look for the laminated tapes - again they are recommended for use in Horticulture.
I selected the PT2730 for linking to Ideas Genie, and it connects to my computer using a USB cable.
The keyboard is useful for a quick label, when required, not necessarily a Plant ID label.
It probably adds a lot to the price of the product.

Your model PT2430PC looks interesting. I hadn't seen that one on the UK website.
Heres a link to the specifications page:
http://www.brother-usa.com/ptouch/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=PT2430PC
Note that it says you don't have to install software!!
However, it also says:

--- Quote ---Barcoding and database printing available with installation of full version of P-touch® Editor Software (included)
--- End quote ---
So, for use with Ideas Genie, you would need to install the software, and again it may be the same software as comes with the PT2730. No need for you to worry - it comes free with that model.

I'm not sure if I can make that one work from Ideas Genie. I'd need to get hold of one for testing.
When I asked Brother about support to develop my app to print labels from our Master Database of Plants, using Ideas Genie software, they advised me to contact a distributor :o
I didn't follow up their advice ::)
I had to take a chance that I could make it work myself and I'm relieved to say that I did actually get it printing a plant from Ideas Genie quite easily.

I will look at your model in more depth tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version