Author Topic: An interesting orchid  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
An interesting orchid
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
After giving us many years of pleasure our jasmine, which has inhabited our front glazed porch, has suddenly upped and died  :'(. We went in search of a replacement without success but we saw this orchid, which was remarkably inexpensive, and couldn't resist :)

Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: An interesting orchid
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
I love Orchids Eric. My wife looks after all indoor plants, and does a far better job than I do outside :-[ :-[
We have a few Orchids and she manages to get them to come back every year 8)

That one sure is unusual and yet another beauty in the abundance of colours available in that genus.  Does it have a name?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
No name George, the only label was "Care of orchids". I am fond of orchids and have four healthy plants in my dressing room at the moment having a rest. I keep looking hopefully for signs of a new flower stem appearing. One lovely one was given to Anthea by Mark when she had her hip operation. It has regularly flowered for about four months then had a rest for about another four or five months. It has produced flowers three or four times already.

Eric

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
Tom and family gave us another nice orchid for Christmas. I got a bit carried away taking pictures with my macro lens so I thought I would share them with you.

Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »
Excellent photos Eric  8)

I am a great fan of macro photography too.  Getting up close and personal and showing off the finer details of your subjects  ;)

Thanks for sharing Eric.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:53 PM »
Excellent work once again Eric 8) and as usual I'm particularly full of admiration in how you can capture such quality images of white flowers ;)
Many thanks for taking the time to share them with us here.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:54 AM »
Thank you Laurie and George for your kind words. I find that almost invariably with my macro shots I need to use my tripod if I want to be certain of focussing correctly. Hand held, the slightest movement as you press the trigger and the focus can be a bit iffy. Do you find that, Laurie?

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Absolutely Eric.

No matter how steady you think your hands are there will always be a little movement which is inevitable, and at these higher magnifications they are detected by the camera, giving blurry results.

A tripod is always recommended, as you know Eric, so anyone else wishing to venture into macro photography a tripod is an essential piece of kit.