Plants > Penstemon

Edward Wilson - famous Penstemon plant breeder

(1/4) > >>

ideasguy:
All Penstemon lovers will be very sad to hear that one of the best-known breeders of this popular plant, Edward Wilson, of Pershore Plant Raisers, died in 2009.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/6438915/The-man-behind-the-Pensham-Penstemons.html

I buy most of my Penstemon at Hayloft Plants and it was actually on their web site that I read their tribute to the great man:
http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/edwardwilsonpenshampenstemon.html
This document has a very interesting list of Penstemons and how they were named.

I'm looking for photos for the Master Database.
I'd love to hear about your favourites.
Do you grow any of Edwards plants? I have a nice collection, including a few of Teds Purple (named after himself, rather reluctantly I gather).

Do they survive in your garden over winter? When do you take cuttings for propagation?
Any tips would be very much appreciated here.

ideasguy:
Photos I'd like to see?
a) Close ups of course
b) Habit - photos showing the height and spread of the various cultivars
c) In combination with other plants.
Get out there and get snapping folk! Have fun :)

JeanV:
I have no idea whether the Penstemons I have are from him or not to be honest!

I have tried t o take cuttings but they have never worked but the deep red one I had did kast through the winter till our dreadful winter last year
(-23 C for about a month here!) . What I usually do is put them in pots then in the greenhouse with fleece. There is no heating there so the temp does only stay about +2 above the outside BUT it rises above that in the day and it is dry so they survive but with my usual haphazrdnous I do not know the names!

I will do a search.

We actually do live quite near Pershore and regularly buy plants at Malvern show, so I think it I s likely my plants were from his stock.

I live in Mid Wales if you look at a map of uk is the white area w ith no roads left of middle! Rural area with lots of sheep, low temp, no pollution very wet and often windy!  It is sunny sometimes though!  About an hour or two drive from :Pershore I reckon.

ideasguy:
Thanks for posting Jean ;) and I'm very pleased to see you visiting.

I had a red one with a name which quite memorable to me - King George! It died the year before the big freeze winter, and it had survived for a number of years.
It prompted me to buy more, and to explore the different varieties. They are many and varied.
Currently there are 577 in the Master Database:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/Databases/databases.html
I expect there will be a few more after this current project is finished :D
I'll publish an update to the Master Database so y'all can download and see the combined efforts of our forum members.

Palustris:
We have a grand total of .................None.
They have never survived the winters here.
Got a few alpine species, that's all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version