Gardens open to the Public > Good gardens to visit (Ireland)

The Manse, Glebe Rd, Dunmurry, Belfast

(1/1)

ideasguy:
We visited a garden open on Saturday. It was the garden belonging to a Church manse, and the minister (now retired) is now in his 80th year.
A local gardening program broadcast an interview with the Reverend MacMillan on the Sat morning. That’s not my type of garden, I thought, I’m not going to like it.
Not so! My two sisters, Mary and I really enjoyed it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=18&gs_id=bh&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=604&q=the+manse+dunmurry&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48610676a29ad727:0x8e6478c9fa876d8e,The+Manse,+Glebe+Rd,+Dunmurry,+Belfast+BT17+0PN&gl=uk&ei=obnNT5Buq5fRBc_W5N4B&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

The garden is closest to the railway line in this map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=the+manse+dunmurry&hl=en&ll=54.551433,-6.006169&spn=0.000831,0.001725&hnear=The+Manse,+Glebe+Rd,+Dunmurry,+Belfast+BT17+0PN,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=19
The garden was planted with an abundance of Rhododendrons, Shrubs and Hostas, and there were numerous plants of interest to plant lovers :)
I'd describe it as a plantsmans garden.

I cant grow Hostas with success - they get devoured by slugs and look unsightly.
The Reverend Mac had the best Hostas Ive ever seen, with an impressive number of varieties.

I took lots of photos. At the end we got to chat with the Reverend Mac. I can tell you he is a very interesting man. Photos to follow of the occasion.

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on June 05, 2012, 09:10:32 AM ---I cant grow Hostas with success - they get devoured by slugs and look unsightly.
The Reverend Mac had the best Hostas Ive ever seen, with an impressive number of varieties.
--- End quote ---
We gave up on hostas too, years ago, for the same reason.

--- Quote ---I took lots of photos. At the end we got to chat with the Reverend Mac. I can tell you he is a very interesting man. Photos to follow of the occasion.

--- End quote ---
I look forward to seeing them George.

Eric

NightHawk:
We look forward to seeing your photos George.

Laurie.

ideasguy:
I look forward to publishing them! Ive made promises to put them on my website :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version