Author Topic: A skeleton leaf  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
A skeleton leaf
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
This is a skeleton leaf which I have just discovered sandwiched between two pages of our family bible. How it got there and how long it has been there I do not know.

Here it is on the cover of the bible

This is the title page of  our family “Breeches Bible” . A long time ago someone must have been short of paper and started doing sums  ::)

The Revised Standard Version of the Bible, Genesis III verse 7
says “Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons.”
The “Breeches Bible”, as it is commonly known, is a term for the Geneva Bible, first printed in 1560. It derives from the reference in Genesis III, Verse 7, which states:- “Then the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves breeches.” The Geneva Bible owes its origin to a group of scholars who fled from England to Geneva in Switzerland to escape persecution from Queen Mary (1553 – 1558). Upon her accession to the throne she banned the printing of English scriptures. Calvin, Coverdale. and several other reformers translated an English version from Latin, using Greek and Hebrew text.

Here is the relevant text

A long time ago some paper eating creatures have severely nibbled the edges of the first 25 pages or so. They have been repaired, long before I first set eyes on it, by pasting paper to reinforce it. This has obscured some of the words.

The relevance to gardening is a bit tentative, unless you count the Garden of Eden  :) and of course the skeleton leaf, which prompted me to make this post.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:49:30 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline Palustris

Re: A skeleton leaf
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
Interesting though. It is fascinating to learn just how  many words and phrases originated in Tyndale's translation of the Bible. The King James A.V. was mostly based on Tyndale's work.