Author Topic: Potting up  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Jacquiht

Potting up
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
I've spent the day in the greenhouse and have split and potted up all the cuttings I did in the autumn. The greenhouse is now well and truly full.  Ordered my new lean-to greenhouse yesterday and it can't come too soon.  Am feeling very pleased with myself but now I ache!!!!!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Potting up
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »
A good days work Jacqui (and you still had time to email me about Bank Genie  - and you did very well with that as well 8))
My wife teases me that only women can multi task - sometimes (whisper) I think she is right :-[

What plants did you grow from cuttings Jacqui (not them all obviously, it looks like you've done a lot!)
Today I dug up a Day Lily which had magically self seeded a few years ago at the front of our patio border. (The parent plant was at least 10 ft away!)
It would have been OK at the back but it had spread too much and was "encroaching" (its a bit invasive!).
It took some digging! Deep DEEP roots with a very good grip of the ground :o Took ages digging up and sifting for fragments.
Its orange flowers went very well with the blue Agapanthus, but the day lily was usually nearly over by the time the Agapanthus started to bloom so there was a short window. I'm considering planting a division behind that Agapanthus.
Lots of bits (chunks!) to give away to anyone in driving distance who'd like to collect :D

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
As I said before, in the Autumn I was very productive and took loads and loads of cuttings:
Cistus "Alan Fradd" and another white smaller flowered Cistus, whose name I need to look at the parent plant; honeysuckle, eleagnus, Lavendar "hidcote"; Helianthemum "Ben Fhada" and "Wisley Yellow"; Potentilla "William Rollinson" and also potted on my Rudbeckia "dreamii" that I grew from seed.  Also included in my afternoon's work were yet more seeds sown - I don't intend to buy any plants this year!!!!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
Great fun is it not?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »
That's really impressive Jacqui 8)
I have to say you have made a very good selection of plants.
Do you grow any Penstemons? I'm quite amazed - mine have survived outdoors over winter. I'd kept a stock item of each variety in the greenhouse, just in case.
Can you (or anybody) offer advice on how and when to take cuttings of Delphiniums?
I can now confirm that mine don't die over winter as I suspected (they are now emerging :)).
They get devoured by slugs as soon as they put their tender and obviously sweet new growth above ground in spring. Again, I have a stock item in the greenhouse, perfect for taking basal cuttings, but I failed with a few I took last year in spring.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Dephlinium as me grandad used to call them, cuttings are taken of the new growth when they are a couple of inches long. Cut them as close to the point of origin as possible and treat like any other green cutting.