Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

Apple scab

(1/2) > >>

ideasguy:
I started this topic from extracts from another topic, since this deserved a topic of its own.

Two (perhaps) related subjects were raised - apple scab, and whether or not to discard apple tree prunings.

I wrote:

--- Quote ---I had a bad attack of apple scab on my Bramleys this year, so I think I'll discard all remnants to the brown bin for collection or take them to the recycling depot this year.
The fruit was very small and covered with the scab. I read that they were OK to use, and I stewed as many as were useable.

Eric (Palustris) replied:

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Not keen on spraying, but Copper sulphate is reasonably organic and is a good cure for Scab. If you cannot get it from a G/C then try a Home Wine making outlet.
I have always got rid of Fruit tree prunings rather than keep them. Don't know why though.
--- End quote ---

Question to you Eric: When do you recommend to spray with Copper Sulphate?

Palustris:
We generally start once the flowers have fallen so that we do not harm any bees, though I think Copper sulphate is not harmful to them, but better safe than sorry. We then spray about every 2 weeks. Not sure of the dilution rate though. Take care if you have a tree which is labelled 'sulphur shy' as the sulphur in this solution can damage the leaves and fruit. Bramley though is not one of them.

ideasguy:
I gathered all the fallen apples at end of season as I read they can harbour the spores, and these rise in spring.
I didn't spray, but they seem to be much better this year, and a reasonable good crop. Fingers crossed they will continue to grow for a few weeks yet!

Palustris:
Been too wet and windy to spray this year and the Scab is worse than we have ever seen it.  Only Discovery seems to have escaped it.

ideasguy:
I have a few varieties which seem to be free of that problem - e.g. Lord Lambourne, Sunset.
Just found this info page about sunset:
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/sunset
Small (agree) - Disease resistance is far better (agree) , and cropping is good (agree). 

--- Quote ---Sunset does not keep especially well, and is best stored in a refrigerator, where it will last a month or so.
--- End quote ---
Bah! Unfortunately I have to agree once again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version