Author Topic: Apple scab  (Read 4412 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Apple scab
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:58:03 PM »
I started this topic from extracts from another topic, since this deserved a topic of its own.

Two (perhaps) related subjects were raised - apple scab, and whether or not to discard apple tree prunings.

I wrote:
I had a bad attack of apple scab on my Bramleys this year, so I think I'll discard all remnants to the brown bin for collection or take them to the recycling depot this year.
The fruit was very small and covered with the scab. I read that they were OK to use, and I stewed as many as were useable.

Eric (Palustris) replied:
Not keen on spraying, but Copper sulphate is reasonably organic and is a good cure for Scab. If you cannot get it from a G/C then try a Home Wine making outlet.
I have always got rid of Fruit tree prunings rather than keep them. Don't know why though.

Question to you Eric: When do you recommend to spray with Copper Sulphate?

Offline Palustris

Re: Apple scab
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
We generally start once the flowers have fallen so that we do not harm any bees, though I think Copper sulphate is not harmful to them, but better safe than sorry. We then spray about every 2 weeks. Not sure of the dilution rate though. Take care if you have a tree which is labelled 'sulphur shy' as the sulphur in this solution can damage the leaves and fruit. Bramley though is not one of them.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
I gathered all the fallen apples at end of season as I read they can harbour the spores, and these rise in spring.
I didn't spray, but they seem to be much better this year, and a reasonable good crop. Fingers crossed they will continue to grow for a few weeks yet!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »
Been too wet and windy to spray this year and the Scab is worse than we have ever seen it.  Only Discovery seems to have escaped it.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
I have a few varieties which seem to be free of that problem - e.g. Lord Lambourne, Sunset.
Just found this info page about sunset:
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/sunset
Small (agree) - Disease resistance is far better (agree) , and cropping is good (agree). 
Sunset does not keep especially well, and is best stored in a refrigerator, where it will last a month or so.
Bah! Unfortunately I have to agree once again!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
Our Sunset keeps fine, over Winter form a late September picking. They are not like Discovery of Katja which go off very quickly after picking.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Thats good news!
I read last somewhere that theres a test you can do to see when they are best for pulling for storage, and as I recall, that was before they ripen. In general, do you pull early?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
Not that I am aware of. We take them when they can be picked by a simple lift and twist which is the classic way to test for ripeness.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »
Yes, a good method. Mine didn't last too long last year, stored in the garage >:(