Author Topic: Ideas for using branches and logs  (Read 6244 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Ideas for using branches and logs
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
LauraCT (Laura from Connecticut) sparked this topic when she sent this in an email:
Don't worry about the chain saw- it's a mini and I have been using a small electric one for years. My raised vegetable beds are contained by small oak branches cut into logs and sunk into the ground. I have found all kinds of creative ways to use the free wood on my little 2/3 acre lot :-). Thinner ones make great plant supports! 

When I go a-prunin' I usually strip off and shred the leaves and twigs and keep straight sticks for use in the garden. The strong ones for staking.
I save some for bulb planting time. I cut them into lengths of about 10ins and use six or more to make a circle around the newly planted bulbs - to identify where they are so I can look out for them in spring and (very important) and to make sure I don't plant more bulbs or a plant in the same spot.

Laura has some good ideas. What do you do with your branches and logs?

Offline Palustris

Re: Ideas for using branches and logs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »
Log fire!

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »
Natural stakes for plants/shrubs/etc., and log-piles for wildlife habitat.

We don't have any trees in our gardens, just well-established shrubs, so I suppose you could call these cuttings 'mini-logs'  :D

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
Here I go with my links, again.

This one greeted me the other morning when I checked my emails. Take a look at the ‘Twig House’ that gives ‘Instant Protection for Perennials’. The link is courtesy of GardenGate magazine, which I subscribe and highly recommend as reading for any gardener, experienced or beginner.

I want to try this idea this year; I will have quite a few twigs from pruning my apple trees which will to be done soon. If, the twigs are pliable enough to bend without cracking, then they should last for the season.

http://www.gardengatenotes.com/2012/01/31/?utm_source=GardenGateNotes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5561

Hope the link works properly for you.

- Toby

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
I save some for bulb planting time. I cut them into lengths of about 10ins and use six or more to make a circle around the newly planted bulbs - to identify where they are so I can look out for them in spring and (very important) and to make sure I don't plant more bulbs or a plant in the same spot.

And so do I George, but mine are longer than 10 inches. This was taken on 28 December 2000. We have one apple tree which will keep sending long shoots up into the sky. I cut them off every year with my Wilkinson Sword long pruner (I can reach 15 ft high with it) and put them in a circle where the bulbs are planted. The little mound in the middle is the stump of our old cherry tree, the bulbs originally encircled it.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
Very artistic, Eric!
How thick a shoot can you cut with that pruner? Could be useful.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »
How thick a shoot can you cut with that pruner? Could be useful.

Just guessing, George - about 3/4" diameter with newish wood and probably 1/2" with tough old wood. It would probably do thicker than this but I don't like abusing tools.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:01 PM »
That's pretty good Eric. What month(s) do you usually prune your apple trees?
I started, but haven't finished the pruning for this winter yet.
I recall reading in a gardening book that apple tree prunings should be discarded. Whats your opinion on that?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
Usually January/February, George, but for reasons you will know about I think this year will be missed. I don't know about discarding. Our bits usually got into a little dell in the bushes to rot away.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »
I had a bad attack of apple scab on my Bramleys this year, so I think I'll discard all remnants to the brown bin for collection or take them to the recycling depot this year.
The fruit was very small and covered with the scab. I read that they were OK to use, and I stewed as many as were useable.
Very best wishes, Eric!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:27:17 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
Not keen on spraying, but Copper sulphate is reasonably organic and is a good cure for Scab. If you cannot get it from a G/C then try a Home Wine making outlet.
I have always got rid of Fruit tree prunings rather than keep them. Don't know why though.

Offline LauraCT

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
Thanks for the info on the twig house, Toby. In addition to looking rustic and supporting plants, perhaps they will prevent me from digging up perennials I forgot I planted. I have also made trellises out of thinner branches. I have a huge supply due to an unexpected, heavy snow in late October 2011 (trees still had leaves), here in northern Connecticut, which caused extensive tree/branch loss. We are in an area where the 100 year old oaks are nearing end of life, anyway, and whole trees and branches fell everywhere- it looked like a war zone! It was scary, actually- roads were blocked off for days, and after they opened, we still had to avoid logs sticking out into the road and drive under trees hanging on power lines. I lost power for 9 days! Anyway, now I have a lot of fallen wood to use in the garden  :D.

(I found it, George)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
Well found Laura :)
I meant to insert a link on your welcome topic (where this originated) so I'll go back and do that now.

Another question to all. How do you store sticks to keep them tidy? They tend to be a bit unruly ::)

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
Toby's link http://www.gardengatenotes.com/2012/01/31/?utm_source=GardenGateNotes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5561
is brilliant.  This is a great idea for protecting plants from the ever present "bunnies".  Thank you Toby - now to prune the willow tree!!!!!