Author Topic: Garden Design Project  (Read 8468 times)

Offline Palustris

Garden Design Project
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
If I manage to get to finish that Garden Design program which is still in "rough cut" stage, then I could do with quite a lot of graphics to represent plants etc.
I have a book with all the graphics used by Garden designers to show different trees. shrubs. plants and so on. Any use?

Offline bossgard

Re: Garden Design Project
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
I’m sitting at my computer reading what you gentlemen are saying.

And, I’m yelling at all of you, YES! YES! YES! So please hear me! Continue with this topic!

If there is any one particular phase of gardening that I am the weakest on, it is trying to picture
a finished layout of a garden, a bed, or a border, or any other finished project for landscaping my home.

My original purpose in purchasing IdeasGenie Pro, was to have it help me improve the curb appeal to my property. While Pro is of tremendous help for retaining the data for my plant inventories it does lack this type of program,

I’m all for George to go with this as part of his software, and I will certainly act as a beta-tester if all of you and George so wish!

I am using a CAD based software program for designing my vegetable garden which George is aware of. I love it, and I wish it was George’s, and have told him that several times.

Go for it!

- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »
Toby, I'm quite sure that George will be more than pleased for any support in a new garden design software project of his.

With that in mind though I think it would be advisable to move this discussion to its own topic rather continue with it in this one.

We'll see what George has to say and if he wishes to start one off  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Garden design software
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Way back in 2009, I had a "rough-cut" garden design program.
Nothing flashy - it was intended to be a practical 2 dimensional solution, where you could place objects to represent plants, resize them, move them about etc. The program allowed the design of a border outline. I was at the stage of linking the objects to the plant names in Ideas Genie, and that was the easy bit.
Ive been so busy this past 2 years on other projects that this has been shelved.
I happened to mention it in another thread, and a discussion started to develop that would have taken the original topic off-subject. Larry suggested a new dedicated topic, so here it is.

I'm afraid I wasnt able to make this posting take priority as the forum software arranges it all in date of posting order.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:17:55 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Garden Design Software Project
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »
I'm very pleased to note the interest in this subject folk, and thanks for informing me about your book Eric!
I was almost certain I posted a topic about this before, but it seems not on scanning through the boards and topics.
I'm afraid I wont have time to resume work on this for some months yet as a number of other projects take priority, upgrade to Ideas Genie Pro being the next on the list.
When I do, you will be the first to know, and I will release it in stages of development to share with the members on this forum. I'll need feedback from "beta testers" and your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Garden Design Software Project
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »

a number of other projects take priority, upgrade to Ideas Genie Pro being the next on the list.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
Thought you might appreciate that ;)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
We used a Design program right at the beginning of what we did here, but it was based on a regular shaped garden and was not that easy to draw rounded shapes with it.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
Was it 2D or 3D Eric?
By rounded shapes, do you mean the edges of borders, paths etc?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
2D, but you could look at the garden from ground level to see the growth over time.
It would only draw straight lines and right angled shapes. So, to create an outline of our garden which is rather irregular was very difficult. I had to do it as a series of very short straight lines to give the appearance of a curve. And, to make a circular bed, as is our Lollipop lawn was beyond me. Cannot find the program now to say which it was and after all my hard work we lost the plan when the old hard drive on the old machine went up to Android heaven.
There was also a very limited library of images of garden features, things like Arches and fence types.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 12:30:59 PM »
I can manage the curved edges OK, so it may be fairly useful.
The main purpose would be placing and spacing, and something to look back on to remember where things like bulbs were planted. Plants could be enlarged and reduced so it would give a good indication of proportions and how many plants could be planted in a bed, allowing for plants to reach maturity without cramping neighbours.
I'll get something to show you folk when I get some spare time, even a screenshot or two.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:34:06 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 12:57:15 PM »
That sounds like a real exciting project George, and one that would also be extremely useful to our members  8)

Obviously, your time constraints with other projects you're currently working on will play a major factor into it coming to fruition.  But I'm quite certain it will be a much appreciated and wonderful addition to your other gardening software.  I can sense potential beta testers already champing at the bit in the wings, ready to put it through its paces.  No pressure though George  :D

We're all waiting with baited breath  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
I'd better get a move on with my projects:)
The Garden Design module will tie in with the existing software so its just a matter of taking it all one step at a time.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
George and Laurie, and other interested Members of the Forum:

Thanks for the discussion under the Infinite Triangle topic. All my future postings regarding the Garden Design Project will be located in this topic.

It is most encouraging to have two wonderful guys, and I must say, very knowledgeable ones, working to produce this addition to the IdeasGenie software. I look forward to its creation.

I will continue with my plans working with both my CAD programs, and switch over to the Garden Design Project when it’s ready.

Wish me luck, and by the way:

Merry Christmas to All and a Happy New Year, too!

(From the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, of the USA .)

- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »
Thanks for that Toby  :-[   ;D

Your support on the Forum is also very much appreciated.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
Good luck to you, and please let me know by email how you get on with the CAD software.
When all else fails, we all need a bit of luck Toby!

Merry Christmas Seattle from a nice mild Ireland (what a difference from this time last year!)