Author Topic: Searching On The Forum  (Read 2868 times)

Offline bossgard

Searching On The Forum
« on: December 08, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »
Help!
I have tried to do a search on the Forum trying to find a previously posted subject matter by a Forum Member.
The 'old' method of searching is gone!
I am getting a goofy screen that's asking me some goofy questions.
Is not the old method for searching valid anymore?
It was easy to navigate!
Instructions please!

-Toby

Offline bossgard

Re: Searching On The Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
Never mind, it seems to be working now!
Sorry!

-Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
I hope you have more luck than me, Toby. Previously, I have found that the search does not always find what I'm looking for.
Now that you have raised the topic,what do you and others think of the Search facility?

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
Doing a test search on a topic I had posted on using the search box on the right side of the screen (below the Simple Machines Forum logo), brought up a negative result.

Searching for the same topic using the search link on the left side of the screen (on the same line with Home Help Search Admin.. etc.), brought up the result I was expecting.

So for me, if you wish to search the Forum then use the second search link method.

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
George and Laurie, and Others:

I was always told that if I was going to use a search engine of some kind, was to simplify the search.
Use only two or three words, and take it down to two if you can. Don’t clutter the search with useless words, like ‘at’, ‘the’, ‘and’, etc. 

I hope Malcolm doesn’t mind me using one of his postings for an example, but the search I wanted to do, was to find a posting of Malcolm’s, in answer to George’s question to Malcolm on how he prepares his garden soil for the new plantings he does for spring time. I wanted to duplicate that method here in the US for my coming growing season for 2012.

The search words I used were ‘Malcolm/compost’, and I got the information I wanted.
His recipe is ¼ part horse manure to 3 of multi purpose compost. I might have to change that to ‘steer’ manure, instead. Steer is most frequently offered.

Laurie, oddly enough, that first experience that you had with your search, was what prompted my original question on the Forum. Your first procedure was the one I had used originally and got the ‘funny’ screen. After making sure that my password managing software had me entered correctly to the Forum, I was able then to use the complete search, i.e., the one you used with good results.

- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
Search Engines can be fickle things at the best of times Toby.

It appears that the two types of search functions on this Forum software are not configured to work the same way for some unexplained reason  :-\  ???

Anyway, I would suggest you Toby, and our other members, use the method you have now found to work for any future searches here.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one finding the search a little problematic ::)
Thanks for the tip Laurie. I'll try that next time :)