Computers > Security

This type of file can harm your computer. Are you sure you want to download...

(1/2) > >>

ideasguy:
What will they think of next! Another "feature" (or alligator) to wrestle with.

--- Quote ---This type of file can harm your computer. Are you sure you want to download...
--- End quote ---

A number of users have reported that they are seeing this message (or similar) when they click the download link in my emails (to download Bank Genie, Ideas Genie etc)
The worrying thing is, some evaluation customers are frightened off by the message, and dont try the download. 

Have any of our member seen this?
I haven't, on my computer and browser.

Ive done a little research and found this:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=47b19ee537e3088e&hl=en
Looks like its not just my downloads which are being singled out.

If you have seen this, I'd very much appreciate a screenshot.
Please state which Hardware (32bit or 64 bit) you are using, what Windows Version and which browser you use (IE, Firefox, Chrome etc).

roiphil:
i get something similar when i upgrade parts of igpro, but that could just be my norton checking if i get again will catch it for you

ideasguy:
Thanks Phil.

Trevor Ellis:
I've come across it several times George but can't honestly remember all of the incidents bar one of the intended/executed downloads. Non of them were to do with IG however. Recently I bought a new printer and it mentioned a 'quick printing' tab that it put automatically onto the toolbar in Internet Explorer. I could never stand all the 'activity' on the IE homepage and so have not used it for years. However, being curious I downloaded it to see what the printing thing was about and also to see if the homepage on IE8 is as busy as the older versions. Surprisingly perhaps on a Microsoft download the same message as you described appeared. Undettered, I downloaded and installed. Then returned to the tranquility of Chrome & Firefox.

ideasguy:
Hi Trevor, and its good to hear from you again!

I'm suspect the activity you described is to do with tracking etc by certain websites.
If you watch the status bar at the bottom of your browser, you'll see the pages and resources which are accessed flash by.
Web sites which use Google Analytics are reporting the pages you visit back to base etc. Ive steered away from that "feature" on my websites.

Ive identified the problem with "This type of file can harm your computer. Are you sure... etc etc".
Its a new security level applied by Symantec/Norton. It has caused me a lot of grief, and a number of lost customers.
Ive worked with Symantec and now have Bank Genie products added to their white list.
Its an ongoing nightmare!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version