Author Topic: The essentials - a set of Lessons  (Read 7791 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
The essentials - a set of Lessons
« on: October 10, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
We haven't had a challenge for a while, so here we go.
I hope our new Ideas Genie users will participate. Its a good opportunity to get involved in the forum.
Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Ive been working on a project this week to explain how to use Ideas Genie to handle accessions - known as specimens in Ideas Genie "speak".

In doing so, I will use the web site design for Lessons (and Challenges) for posting on the Product Support website.
http://www.ideasgenie.com
(This is currently under re-development).

Heres the link to the project:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/wolbdemo/

Ive attempted to make it so you can see each screenshot without scrolling.
It will depend on screen resolution of course, so the first question is, does it work like that for you?

Next:
Can you see the screenshot page links on the extreme right (top).
It reads:
RHS Search p1 p2 p3 p4 p5
Can you see and click p5 without scrolling?
Any mistakes in the navigation links? (Previous Next etc)

OK, now have a go at the "challenge". Follow the lessons step by step. You can use your own plant names, or plant names as shown in the screenshots.
Your comments would be very much appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:09:04 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: The essentials - a set of Lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »
Sorry George, I have only just found this posting.

Ive attempted to make it so you can see each screenshot without scrolling.
It will depend on screen resolution of course, so the first question is, does it work like that for you?

Yes I can see the screenshot but I do have to scroll

Can you see the screenshot page links on the extreme right (top).
It reads:
RHS Search p1 p2 p3 p4 p5

Yes, and I can see and click p5 without scrolling sideways.

It is past my bedtime George so I can't pick up the challenge tonight.

Goodnight.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »
Do you have to scroll down for all of them Eric?

I should have said that it also depends on the number of toolbars along the top of your browser.
On your browser, click View and look at Toolbars with checks. Closing a toolbar might make it so you dont have to scroll vertically.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
I think the best the best thing, George, would be to post two screen shots. One with the tool bars (as you will see I do have a lot of gubbins at the top) and the other using full screen. My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. I am showing them large (1024 x 819) so it will be easier for you to read. You can also see I play a game of FreeCell from time to time  :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
If you prefer to see them smaller, George, here they are at 640 x 512

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
Gosh Eric!! Many thanks once again - You've gone to a lot of trouble over this!

I'm afraid Ive misled you on this :(
Its when you display the pages after the initial introduction (p2, p3 etc) where Ive worked on trying to make them display without scrolling. They have actual IG Pro screenshots, in a step by step order to accomplish something.
How do they look?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »
Sorry George, I misunderstood. Here is what "Adding a Plant (Method A) p2" looks like. I have tried some of the other pages and they look similar. Absolutely no scrolling required. I am glad I posted screen shots otherwise we might have been at cross purposes for some time  ::)

Is this what you meant?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:55:33 PM »
Yes, thats exactly it Eric.

The navigation links at the top are a bit cramped, but I wanted the user to be able to click and read step by step. Its easy to get lost if you have to move the mouse away from the p numbers (or the Next/Previous buttons in the actual screenshots)

Now then, lets hope the content makes sense :D

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
George:

I want you to know that this challenge you titled ?Essentials? was a real wild ride for me. I got through it with some stumbles along the way, and some of the procedures we have been through with other projects and lessons. There?s quite a bit of helpful information for us IdeasGenie Pro users in this challenge! I?ve filed the printouts of it in my ?How To? binder along with previous challenges.

One area it did really help me on, was understanding GA100S23 ADDING A SPECIMEN.  The use of the Accession No. has always baffled me since I first was introduced to it. I could never quite see its purpose, along with the Batch Reference, and the rest of the items on that screen. Knowing that I can ?Change a Specimen in GA100S23?will be helpful, I?m sure.

Q - Does one have to be a member to access the RHS website information?  How much, in US money? I will have to check out AHS (American Horticulture Society) here in the US. I subscribe to their magazine ?American Gardener?, and am a member already.

In the challenge when you illustrate the use of GA100S33 SEARCHING THE INTERNET FOR PHOTOS OF ANDROSACE (etc), (screenshot GA100S33-g2) I was able to pull up the same page as in your illustration from the East Lancashire AGS Show 2007.

It?s at http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/shows/reports/East+Lancashire+AGS+Show+/66

Interesting, huh?

Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »
I'm very pleased to welcome you back to the forum Toby.
Our members will have noticed that our regular from WA, USA was missing from the Whos on line list at the bottom of the forum page. I emailed Toby and after a few anxious days waiting I got a reply to say he had been floored by a very bad flu.
Heres wishing you a speedy recovery Toby!

Glad you "enjoyed" the challenge Toby:D and it looks like it all worked for you, right to the Androsace link :)
Plant collector, Botanical Garden and Botanist users of the software are familiar with Specimens and Accession numbers.
Gardeners are familiar with the term Specimen plant so Ive adopted those terms in IG Pro.

Initially I referred to Accession numbers as Garden References in IG Pro.
Users can invent their own system for assigning accession numbers and can think of them as Garden References to particular specimen plant in the garden.
Hopefully this Challenge will have explained things sufficiently so there are no ambiguities.

RE:
Does one have to be a member to access the RHS website information?
Not for the type of access required in that challenge Toby. For other sections,yes.
This page explains the benefits:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Members/Membership-benefits/Members-who-joined-before-August-2009/Individual-membership
Membership is currently £49 converting to 78.41 USD
Most of the benefits are UK related, as you can see.
How does it compare to the AHS website?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:48:03 PM by ideasguy »