General Category > Questions and Answers

Rhubarb

(1/2) > >>

Jenna:
I just purchased 5 plug plants of rhubarb(victoria) on ebay.  I think I was a little click happy really, as I had gone on for crowns and saw an action ended and didn't read it properly.  There is no advice about what to do with them, so I was wondering if they should go in the ground now.  Also, will I be able to pick stalks off these this spring, or do I still need a crown for this year?  Any advice appreciated :)

roiphil:
depending on how big they are depend on if they can go in the ground this year, i would be tempted to put into pots and plant in ground come the spring, should produce stalks from next year, think its to late to get any rhubarb stalks of new crowns this year, link to my seeds of same rhubarb on my website http://gardenplantsbypost.com/oscom/product_info.php/cPath/21_25/products_id/146
Phil

ideasguy:
Yes, theres good advice on Phil's website, Jenna.

They should produce stalks next year, but the size of the stalks may depend on the size of the crown.
Ive read that large crowns should be divided into lumps about the size of your fist, so that seems to be a good size for producing something for next year.
Ive kept one in a pot overwinter for a friends garden, but you have to tend to its needs. It produced small skinny stems in the pot.
Personally, I would plant the crowns you have purchased now, as I believe they will be happier and will develop better over early spring when in the ground.
If you are concerned, then how about planting the 3 biggest ones and put 2 in pots ;D

Jenna:
Thank you for the advice :)  I was worried that they would be vulnerable to the frost in pots, as I don't have a greenhouse.  I think I will split them :)  I really would love to have some to eat next summer!

ideasguy:
Yes, not a bad idea to hedge your bets! How big are the crowns Jenna?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version