Author Topic: Evil flies eating my strawberries!!  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Jenna

Evil flies eating my strawberries!!
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has some advice.  I have 6 strawberry plants that i raised from seed i planted at the beginning of the year.  They were slow at developing and I was not expecting any fruit as i thought it is too late, but they are flowering really nicely and I have had some lovely big strawberries coming along.  I never get to eat them though as some evil fly, which looks like a bluebottle but is skinnier keeps nibbling tracks through them.  I left them on at first, hoping they would just stick to the half munched ones, but that did not work, so I am now cutting them off.  Does anyone know what they may be (they are in Ayreshire), or how to thwart them?

I was thinking net, but am unsure if they would get through the width of mesh I have seen at the garden centre.  We have loads of these flies, at times the strawberries just look black there are so many and they are so cheeky they don't even stop munching as i am cutting off the strawberries.  The garden backs on to a wood and fields which cows use, which probably does not help. 

Any advice appreciated  :)

jxox

NightHawk

Re: Evil flies eating my strawberries!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
My, you do have a problem there with those flies  :(  And a shame that they get to eat the fruit of your labours before you can.

I've been called upon in the past to identify various bugs that some of our members have had problems with, so although I don't regard myself as an expert, I have had some success in that respect.

I can't give a definitive answer to your problem as yet from description alone.  It's probably too early in your Forum experience with us just yet, but if you have a digital camera and are able to put a photo of it on the Forum, then that would be a great help.

We have some strawberry plants in our garden but haven't had that problem.  We live in the south of England in the New Forest, Hampshire, surrounded by trees and fields.  It could be a bug specific to your region, but there may be other members who have had a similar experience who can shed some light on the little critter.

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
Hi Jenna,

I vegetable garden in the US, in the Pacific Northwest Corner near Seattle, WA. Among other things, I grow strawberries, had a good crop this year!

Just an idea to try for your berries with the flies. The netting you speak about I assume is bird netting, but the mesh would be too large to block the flies. It?s usually has about a ½ inch opening.

Here in the States, we have what we call Crop or Floating Row Covers. Here?s a brief description of one kind that is on the market.

SUMMER INSECT BARRIER. Keep unwanted insects out. This lightweight fabric provides an effective screen to reduce damage from flea beetles, thrips, aphids, whiteflies, striped cucumber beetles and other insects that are virus vectors. Porous to both air and water. It allows 90-93% light transmission with out heat build up and is UV stabilized so it won?t deteriorate quickly.

Jenna, try your favorite garden center or nursery store. Make sure you follow directions when you place it down, so the flies can?t find a way to get under it and do their damage. Maybe spray or dust them first with a harmless to human repellant, before you cover.

Welcome to the Forum, Jenna.

Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30:27 PM »
I have a feeling that the flies have arrived late on the scene of the crime Jenna (but caught in the act so become the the fall flies :D)

I would suspect dem slugs! Ive also seen woodlice doing a good excavating job and making a tasty home deep in fruit.
Also wasps. Birds will also pick holes.

Nets to keep the aerial pests at bay as Toby (bossgard) has suggested (let us know if you can find that material he has recommended here in the UK) and also straw under the trusses of fruit. That actually works very well for three reasons. Seems to keep slugs at bay, and also lifts the fruit to get a better look at the sun (such as it is in this country) and to prevent them getting muddy if it rains (much more likely)

Welcome to the world of gardening :D
To be continued, I'm sure!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:32:27 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Jenna

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I have been o a few places to look for Toby's suggestions, but have had no joy so far.  I am going to try online and see what I can find.

I would totally think slugs George, as we have millions of them, but they are in pots up hgh on the deck.  I have only ever found one there (munching on my delphinium seedlings) and am so hoping that they don't get up there too, as it is my wee safe haven!  I will keep an eye out for other pests, maybe I am being unfair to the flies.  I will also try to put on pics in case anyone has a suggestion as to what these are.  It is v annoying though ass I have like 10 strawberry plants and only got to eat 5 strawberries!  Plus I just purchased some blackberry bushes and am pondering how many raspberry bushes to buy so am wondering about the safety of softfruit!