Author Topic: voyage to the Cotswolds  (Read 1751 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
voyage to the Cotswolds
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:54:51 PM »

My wife (Lut) and I are back from our little tour in the Cotswolds.
First the weather there was a whole lot better than here. We got here in Belgium the month of May more than the double of rain than the average (mostly in the second half).
What are my impression of the Cotswolds? Very idyllic, yes, the numerous hawthorns in flower, beautiful houses and dito gardens....
Ironically the original cottages for the poor workmen, nursing their food in their sparse free time in their gardens have made place for the financial strong shareholders with 1 or 2 million pounds and more to spend, driving their big Mercedes or Lexus 4x4. There is something artificial about that way of life, if I may be so bold to say it.
I've taken a lot of photos fantastically pruned hedges, the garden of Rosemary Verey (now a hotel with 4,5 full-time equivalent gardening staff) was a revelation: it convinced me that you can make early borders with rather lowgrowing, fine perennials.
What I learned in the garden of Hidcote (but this is a strictly personal perception) is that gardenrooms can be treacherous for a big, extented garden. I got a claustrophobic feeling there and at last I didn't find the exit anymore. It was like a maze: after 4 attempts I returned to the same room. I had to join a group with a better orientation power than mine to be able to leave the place! A luck or I was still running rounds in Major Johnston's wellknown garden.
Some gardens sell plants: 3-4 times the price for the same plant here. Needless to say I came back with as many pounds in the pocket as when I left.
Made a walk in Oxford too: I hoped to have time to visit the bookshop of Blackwell's, but our guide clearly had other priorities. Visited there the oldest Botanic Garden of Great Britain. Do you know the history of this garden?  I think I will write a (very) little article about it (short enough to translate it afterwards in English).
So far this uncomplete story.
Rest follows.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: voyage to the Cotswolds
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:42:17 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your tour.

Was it an organised outing with a gardening club or society?

Onteresting about the fate of the original cottages. Were those labourers cottages the origin of what we know as the Cottage Garden?
Somehow, the "Stockbroker Garden" doesnt sound quite the same. It'll never catch on!

Mind you, the labourers were very fortunate to have such des res's. They really are hot property nowdays.

From your account, the Rosemary Verey garden has low growing, fine perennials. If you have time, please do some name dropping. It would be nice to hear of the ones that took your fancy

Glad you escaped from Hidcote Andre!   ;D   Sounds like you had a real good look at those garden rooms.

RE: Visited there the oldest Botanic Garden of Great Britain. Do you know the history of this garden?
mmmm No  :-[ - - - -I look forward to your enlightening article.

Over to other member comments...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:45:07 PM by ideasguy »