Gardens open to the Public > Good gardens to visit (USA)

Visit the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden near Seattle, WA USA

(1/1)

Katie:
When visiting in the Seattle,WA USA area be sure to plan a visit to the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden (RSBG) in Federal Way, WA.  Internationally recognized as a leader in the protection, conservation and display of species rhododendrons, this is a treasure of a garden.  Knock-your-socks-off color begins in March and continues through late May and even into June with this year's cold spring. 

The new Rutherford Conservatory opened last fall.  Tropical rhodys show off amongst rock structures, a creek and waterfall.  The fragrance of many of these rhodys is amazing.

Charming companion plants make any time of the year a great time to stroll along the beautiful woodland paths.  The stumpery garden maintained by the Hardy Fern Foundation is reportedly larger than Prince Charles' stumpery.  Imagine! 

And one of my favorite areas - the Meconopsis Meadow - is in full bloom right now (May).  In fact, last year when my family took me to the RSBG for Mother's Day, it was this field of blue Himalayan poppies that took my breath away.  Then, after 15 months of being laid off from the Covington Water District (where I had a WaterWise demonstration garden and used Ideas Genie), I got a new job at the RSBG!  Now I have the pleasure of the enjoying the garden during my work day.  So cool. 

Visit our website:  www.rhodygarden.org  and our Facebook page:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rhododendron-Species-Botanical-Garden/149788855047971

ideasguy:
Its great to hear from you again Katie, and I'm delighted to see you back on the forum.
It seems a long time since we first met at the Ideas Genie booth at the North West Flower & Garden Show in Seattle, and it has been a pleasure communicating with you since then.

You've managed a number of very interesting projects. What you did at Covington Water District with Ideas Genie was a perfect application for the software.
Ive just visited their website and I thought at first that the Demonstration Garden was not on their site any more. I found it!! 8)
Under Conservation>Saving Water Outdoor> there are two links:
Demonstration Garden and Plant List.
I was able to open the plant list (a PDF format of the report created using the Garden Tours Documents-GA015).
http://www.covingtonwater.com/pdf_documents/conservation/Plant_List.pdf
A fine legacy left in place from your employment there Katie.

And now on to pastures new :)
What a lucky break! I shared your excitement when you emailed to say you had found that new post. I guess you have been busy since then and its nice to get an update from you.

Thanks for the links Katie. The http://www.rhodygarden.org/ link is a fine place to spend a few coffee breaks! It must be a pleasure to actually visit - lucky you :D
I see you mentioned in the Staff & Board of Directors list. It must be exciting to work the people on that staff list!
I will read up on Steve Hootmans plant hunting exploits later!
There is a lot of activity on your Facebook site, lots of photos posted regularly and I see photos of the Mecanopsis. They are more of a challenge to grow here in Ireland, managed by some of my Alpine Garden contacts. (Ive failed in my first attempt and may give them a try again some time.)

Ive broadcast this topic Katie. I know there are other members who would love hear from you and the RSBG.

newplantguy:
Will be sure to visit if I'm ever that way :)

Katie:
At today's annual Member's & Board Meeting we were captivated by a presentation by our Executive Director, Steve Hootman, relating his 2010 plant exploration trip to China.  Such amazing photos!  Seed collected on that trip have been successful.  A couple of new species Rhodys were discovered ... nice!

Touring our garden really opens your eyes to the huge diversity of Rhododendrons, from a few inches tall to towering trees.  Sure love working with such accomplished plants-people.

bossgard:
Katie:

Congratulations on your new employment!

We have driven through the Weyerhaeuser Campus many times on our return from hiking the trails of this area in the State of Washington, USA. But alas, we have never stopped at the Botanical Gardens to see the collection of Rhododendrons and other specimens there. I didn?t realize that it is as diversified with other plants as you say it is!

We?ll have to correct that, as soon as possible! What is the peak time to view? Rhodies are in bloom now, I only have one in my garden, but it is the most beautiful rosy-pink, with very large blooms. I treasure it, because it was a Mother?s Day gift to our mother from my oldest brother. It must be at least fifty years of age.

The magazine, Garden Design in its issue dated March 2011, has a beautifully written piece ?Rhododendron Revisited?, by Daniel DiClerico, accompanied by spectacular photos (some even filling two pages), from around the world.

In part, he says this:

Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden, Federal Way, Washington.
This living museum is set on 22 acres of the Weyerhaeuser corporate headquarters campus. It hosts a vast collection of the genus, the core of which were grown from cuttings brought over in the 1960?s from public and private English gardens. In more recent years, the garden has added plants grown from donated seeds brought back from plant hunting trips around the world.

He also mentions that the Garden can boast having more than 600 species of the 1,000-plus identified species! (Wow!)

Again, Katie, congratulations!

- Toby

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version