Author Topic: Which version is the latest?  (Read 11158 times)

Offline Palustris

Which version is the latest?
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
The Database I have on my machine has 3648 plants in it. The DB in DVD has 4077 plants in it. Ok. BUT both of them list plants which say Has photo, but not picture appears when you click on it. Somewhere along the line I seem to have lost my own Database from the last 12 months or from when we changed the  computer.
No certain what to do.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Which version is the latest?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:26:19 PM »
The latest version of the Master Database has more than 36,000 plants and over 2000 photos.
I'm very surprised that yours is so out of date, particularly if its on DVD.

In the database explorer program, the program shows the number of plants beginning with A, B, C, D etc (depending on which letter you click) but also shows the number of plants in the database.
Click the All button (to left of the A to Z buttons)
The full count of plants in the database will appear, so there is no ambiguity.
What numbers are shown?

Has Photos will also show as a suffix when the plant has no disc photos, but has web photos.
To see the web photos, click the Show Photos button for a full list of both Web and Disc photos fro the selected plant.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
On the Database in my machine there are 32834 plants
On the DVD there are 36088
When I click on a plant with photo which does not appear, it seems to be unable to find the folder on my computer where the picture is stored. I will have to check if for some reason the name of the folder has been changed, but I do not remember ever doing so and the folder still exists.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
Right I have now exchanged the igdata set on the DVD for the original one in IGMASTER and that gives me a Database number of 36088 plants. I have changed the Path for the missing pictures and they seem to be appearing as they should now.
If I have time I will now start going through my folders of pictures and add the plants and pictures to my DB.
I think what has happened is that when our previous machine went I was not able to transfer the DB from it to this machine and the Backup I have was corrupted somehow. (The DVD got scratched!)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
A few years ago, I added the list of plants in your garden to the Master Database, based on the names of plants linked to Photos on the CD's you sent me.
I then created a WPG website from the plants list, and the photos.
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/palustris/

As I recall, I then sent you a copy of the Master Database, and you installed the Master Database on your computer and used that as your live data.
At that point in time, it looks like it had less than 32834 plants. I say less than, because you probably added to that, hence the figure you have quoted.
To get the photos to work, there are three options:
a) Copy the photos from the DVD onto your computer, into EXACTLY the same folder structure as on the DVD.
b) Keep the DVD inserted. Ideas Genie "hunts" for missing photos. If not found on drive c:, it will search other external discs, including CD's and DVD which happen to be inserted.
If will only find the missing photo if the photos are in the folder structure it is looking for.
You can check that by clicking the Plant Photos button as found in most programs. The Plant Photos button takes you to the list of all photos for a selected plant, and you can edit the link and determine the path to the photos.
As explained above,you can ignore the drive letter.
c) Photos on the Master Database are "embedded" in the database.
That is done for security. A copy (DVD) goes to each new Flower Genie, Ideas Genie, Ideas Genie Pro and Bonsai Genie customer.
They are the photos kindly supplied by users of this forum, so I try to keep them secure.
If a user explores the Master Database DVD, no photos can be found in any folders.
The program I use for embedding is actually included in Ideas Genie Pro.
See Tools>Embed Photos-GA053
You can explore the plants list and the photos on the Master Database by using the program:
Tools>Switch Databases-GA026.
Insert the DVD and select from the pop-up list in that program.

Explore your databases armed with that information and see if that helps Eric.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:15:19 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
See Tools>Embed Photos-GA053
Never used that before. Saves a lot of finding the Folders on my machine with the pictures in it. Ta.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
I am getting thoroughly confused here. The Database I am using is the one George sent me on DVD. which has 36088 plants in it. The first plant mentioned with a photo is Abutilon Bella Series. However the said pictures does not appear when you click on the plant and when I click on the picture itself the message Does not appear in Picheads comes up.  Ditto for Abutilon Kentish Belle and Cannington Peter and Acacia longifolia
 However, Acacia pulchella does show an image.
Am I missing something?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »
You have to be connected to all drives containing your photos when you use that program Eric.

The program itself is primarily for distributing a database (e.g. the Master Database, or User databases who participate in SWAPS of their good work).
I didnt intend it to be used otherwise.

The program gathers all the photos and embeds them into the selected database.
As such, the database (and dis space requirements) can grow to massive proportions, as it includes embedded  "copies" of ALL photos linked in the database, wherever they reside.

If you have a huge amount of disc space, then fine.
In actual fact, if your photos are on a CD or DVD disc (definitely not recommended) then IG Pro will display the embedded photos quicker, rather than having to access a disc.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:00:43 PM »
The only Data base I have is the one you sent on DVD, As I said the one in my previous machine was damaged. I have not added any plants of pictures to it yet.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
RE: Abutilon Bella Series    
That has a web photo (provided by Malcolm) and actually connects to Lyn and Malcolms WPG website:
http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/ABUTILONBELLA.JPG

Try using program GA004.
Right click on the Plant name in the initial screen
The web page is opened in an Ideas Genie screen GA100S31, and the image is displayed, with full credits to Malcolm ;)

I need to modify GA037 to work the same as GA004
However, if you click on A to display all plants beginning with A, click on the above plant in the list, then click Plant Photos button (below the photo display region) you will be able to access all photos.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »
RE:
The only Data base I have is the one you sent on DVD, As I said the one in my previous machine was damaged. I have not added any plants of pictures to it yet.

Dont add any plants to the database I sent you on DVD. It is for reference purposes.

Lets concentrate on the database on your computer Eric:
The Database I have on my machine has 3648 plants in it.
and then
On the Database in my machine there are 32834 plants

Are any of these databases functioning now?

When you start IG pro and run (say) GA004, what does it tell you about number of plants?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »
I missed a 0 out on the DB in my machine there are 36088
In the DB which I have on CD and is from Jan 2009 there are 32820.
No idea how many there were on the broken CD. If the worse comes to the worse I would have to resurrect the old machine and see if I can lift the DB from the old drive. I would rather not have to do that though, it is a terrible fiddle.
Doing this while waiting for the paint to dry by the way.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »
RE:
on the DB in my machine there are 36088
I would recommend you continue with that database.
Add more plants, link photos and use if for WPG's.
Is that the database you used for the WPG you did a few days ago?

As above, the Master Database on DVD (which superseded the one sent earlier on CD) can be used for reference purposes, and is not to be confused with your live database installed on your computer and opened when you start IG Pro.
An update for the Master can be obtained at any time.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
An update for the Master can be obtained at any time.
Thicko at it again. Where?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
From me Eric.
You are OK at present with the number of plants you have mentioned in the database. When I get back to doing more work to it (taking in the photos you kindly gave me on CD) I will let post a message on the forum.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
Ok.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »
One outstanding question from me (see above):
Is that the database you used for the WPG you did a few days ago?
i.e. the one on your hard disc, with 36088 plants, and which opens when you start IG Pro

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
Sorry. The 36088 DB was in the computer when I did the web pages yes, but the only picture I used from it was the last one of Geranium phaeum. The rest came from a dedicated folder of the Coach trip.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
Thats OK.
The WPG project is in and maintained by the database on your computer.
Carry on from here using that database.

Note: The project gathers photos from any location and resizes and creates the website.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
I actually copied the  Coachtrip folder at the correct size and so on into the Web folder. It seems to stop the program crashing when I go looking for a new picture to add.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
Which program was crashing?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 05:49:53 PM »
Same as before. Reviews GA032 when I click on Make a Thumbnail.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »
I recall you reported a message about lobmp. I though that had ceased.
Does anyone else have any problems when clicking the Make a thumbnail button in GA032?

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
I have checked and there does not appear to be a problem as long as the drive for the photos is connected up.
I have though had a similar problem I believe this was linked to how the image was named, that is if it I had codes and numbers, if I simplified it there was not a problem, don't know if that is related to you problem or not?
Paul.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
Thanks for your feedback Paul. There may well be a simple solution for Eric. Try as I might, I cant recreate his problem.
The difficult bit is to make it happen. Once Ive done that with a bug, its usually easy to fix.
I haven't had any reports of a similar problem to that which Eric has reported, and as you see there are a number of WPG's completed:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/