Author Topic: Lilium lancifolium bulbils  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Palustris

Lilium lancifolium bulbils
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »
I gave George a packet of bulbils from Lilium lancifolium yellow form so I though I had better write something about how to grow them.
Here goes. See if I can remember this piece I wrote many moons ago.
First of all they are basically seeds so treat them as such. Sow now in ordinary seed sowing compost about 1/2 inch deep and well spaced out. I use a deep pot rather than a seed tray. Keep them frost free, but cool and moist but not waterlogged over winter. They usually begin growing in Spring. When they do, begin watering and feed every 2 weeks with dilute liquid feed (Baby Bio or Maxicrop type stuff, not Tomato food). Stop watering and feeding when the leaves begin to go yellow, the following Autumn. Keep frost free and moist over the next Winter and then repot into a deeper pot the following Spring. Keep them growing on like this. This time when they go dormant you may move to individual pots. They take between 3 and 5 years to reach flowering size.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:55:40 PM by Palustris »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Lilium lancifolium bulbils
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
Thanks for that Eric. You beat me to it!
I just had to make the most of the beautiful weather when I returned from our meet up and our little break in Manchester.
I was feeling a bit guilty in not having planted them. I shall do so tomorrow, per your instructions!
Theres 22 bulbils in that pcket you very kindly gave me. I'm a patient guy. Having seen what they look like when they reach maturity, I eagerly await the first blooms   :)

Are there any special instructions for the seed in the other packet - Acis autumnales?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
No, just sow them now and see what happens. They might even germinate straight away.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
Will do Eric.
I have to say your seeds are very viable. The previous batches you sent germinated. I think I lost one tray of seedlings. I had hoped they had died down into hibernation but when they didnt reappear this year I inspected the contents and couldnt find any evidence of bulbils.
I'll do an update on the others soon.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
If it was Bulbocodium vernum then my bulbs did not set any seed this year at all, despite a good flowering. Very odd.