Author Topic: Nip down to the Newsagents TODAY  (Read 8251 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Nip down to the Newsagents TODAY
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

Guess whose garden is featured in Garden News in a two page spread. :P

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Nip down to the Newsagents TODAY
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
Let me guess!

I used to get it sent to me, but I'll have to see if there are any copies left on the shelf - you know how things get sold out when the word gets around :D

Congratulations Lyn and Malcolm :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »

I must admit, I had never heard of it, the paper, not the garden ;D

Lyn got our copy from Sainsburys, Tesco didn't have them, not any newsagents round here now.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
Malcolm, you mean to say you weren't even offered a complimentary copy of the publication, and had to go scrounging around newspaper vendors to find one - atrocious  :o  :D

Seriously though, well done Lyn and Malcolm.

Of course, you know what that extra publicity means.  More and more visitors to your open days, and MUCH more cake baking  ::)

At this rate you're going to have to enagage a catering firm to cope with all the masses of people  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
I must admit, I had never heard of it, the paper, not the garden
:o :o :o

Its a terrific little mag. Not a glossy, but packed with very good information and articles.
Our own member The Gardener (aka Chrissie Harten) has a column in Garden Answers.
Look it up Malcolm.

She once explained that she didn't have time anymore to keep her own website up to date, and it is one of the best on the net:
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/
The articles she used to write for her own website are now published in her column in Garden News 8)
She is also a Flower Arranging judge. Busy lady :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »
Laurie

All the magazines/ photographers take the micky really. We are due to be in a Dorset produced glossy magazine next year, they sent a renowned photographer to take the pictures, while here they always take many more for their library for sellng for good money.  :o

We did ask that the feature in Garden News be published before our last open day this year, for obvious reasons. But they are two weeks late, they did put in that if anyone wanted a private visit they could till the end of the month,  thats just 7 days, ( We open for private visits late June till end August). I have now put on our website the open day dates for next year so that any Garden News readers can make a note.
Our dates for opening for the NGS have to be in by Sept 3rd  ::)

To be honest, any publicity is good for the garden.

The cakes, well I made three more today for a private group coming tomorrow pm, looks like in the rain  :'( That is now about 43 cakes or approx 473 big slices  ;D

We need a bigger garden before we get a catering firm. And the cakes would't be as good.

A visitor sent us an email the other day thanking us for their visit to our OPEN HOUSE, I guess it is as well, tables and chairs in the conservatory and in our sitting room and access to the upstairs toilet.  :o

Malcolm
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:55:15 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »

Guess whose garden is featured in Garden News in a two page spread. :P

Malcolm

I wonder whose ?, a belated well done you 2 you deserve al the recognition you get

Phil

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

We did receive a "free" copy in the post today.

Only eight turned up for the private visit on Wednesday, but it was pouring with rain. Those that did come were quite happy with their umbrellas and macs.

Thanks George, Laurie and Phil

Two ladies up at the plant stall wondering which plants would be suitable for a Monsoon climate.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Only eight people turning up Malcolm - that's a great shame.

However, they braved the elements and I guess I wouldn't be far wrong by saying they were suitably impressed, and glad they decided to visit your beautiful gardens.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03:34 PM »
When in Manchester on Sunday, I tried to find a copy of Garden News. I asked the owner of a newsagents shop if he carried that title.
Yes, he did. He explained that he has to return unsold copies for a refund, and guess what, the return date is Saturday!!
That is insane, I said. Surely they should wait until after the weekend ::)

On the way home from Belfast Airport, we called into Sainsburys. I found Garden News!! Hooray I thought - then looked at the date and discovered it is this weeks issue. The issue is August 31st. Is your garden in the previous weeks issue Malcolm?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »
Good news!!
Ive been communicating behind the scenes with Chrissie Harten (The Gardener) and asked if she had received a copy and if she had seen the article.
As explained above, Chrissie writes a column for Garden News each week!

When her Coupon copy didn't turn up, Chrissie scoured the shops to buy one, and managed to get one of the last copies on display at W H Smith!
Then two copies arrived in the post - last weeks and this weeks!
She has kindly offered to send me her spare copy!!
Thank you Chrissie. I was very embarrassed not to have managed to get a copy of this very special edition 8)
You've saved the day!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »

After all the trouble taken to get a copy, I hope it was worthwile, just don't look at the picture of us. >:(
We had hoped for two double spread pages, one for each of the gardens, but I guess it was too much to ask  ???
At least we got our website address mentioned.

Malcolm

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »
Lyn and Malcolm, your garden is fantastic!  I love the tropical feel to it - just my type of planting ;D  I have to bring my brugmansias into the conservatory, although my banana plants stay out all year round.  I wrap them with fleece over winter.  Thought I'd lost them this year, but they have sprouted again from the base.  Unfortunately, having lost the main stem, I've lost the height too, but with a bit of luck we won't get such a bad winter this year and the main stems will survive and grow on.  I have planted my large Brugmansia sanguinea out into the garden this year, as it's far too big now for the conservatory.  I will mulch it well over winter and hope it will come back again next year.  I've taken a cutting as a precaution, which is already doing well and flowering madly!  ;D  At least you have a solution to the fact that Lyn loves cottage garden planting and Malcolm loves tropical.  I love both, but I have no front garden, so my garden is a bit of a mixture of both styles, with the warmest area at the top of the garden being planted with the tropical looking stuff and the lower, colder areas with the hardier types.  I had a look at your website too, and have added it to my favourites.  Your design skills are wonderful - I wish I had your touch!  Well done for getting into Garden News!  I too was hoping to see pictures of both your gardens, but GN seem to like doing one big picture with some smaller pictures of particular plants or features.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:58:44 PM »

Thank you Chrissie for your kind words.

You are very brave planting out your Brugmansia sanguinea, are you still gardening in Worcestershire.
We had to start again with our Bananas outdoors several years ago, as a result of using a straw wrap around them, they didn't freeze, just rotted.
Congratulations for rooting a B.sanguinea cutting, I have tried but failed. We do now have two plants as I was given a rooted cutting in the Spring of this year. The other Brugmansias are of course easier to root, we sold 101 Brugmansia plants on our open days this year. :o

It unfortunatley is the other way round for our gardens, the 'cottage' is the warm garden, and the 'exotic' the cold, which makes for more work come winter.

Our design skills? well it is just what we feel looks right, I wish I had more skills at writing, like you have.

Must go now as it is just on midnight.

Best wishes
Malcolm

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
Yes, I'm still in Worcestershire!  It's surprising what survives here.  I've got lots of plants which are supposed to be a bit tricky, and they go through the winter without any protection.  But then again, other things which should be relatively hardy don't make it.  I guess it's just luck and a micro-climate.  As for rooting the Brugmansia sanguinea, well, I just stuck it in some soil, watered it, and left it!  It didn't even wilt!  I think the time of year makes a difference.  Strangely enough though, I've had no luck with my other Brugmansia cuttings, except for a rather smart variegated one.  My sister bought it from Wilkos for silly money a couple of years back.  She planted it out but decided she didn't have anywhere to keep it over winter, so dug it up and gave it to me! I just stuck a couple of pieces in a pot of soil and off they went.  The trouble is, something is eating it!  I can't find anything on the plant or in the pot, but it looks like caterpillar damage.  Also, I've been plagued with red spider this year which loves Brugmansias (and anything else!).  Grrrrrrr........  There seems to be nothing on the market which will kill it.  The same with mealy bug.  I have a spray which is supposed to deal with all sorts of pests including mealy bug, but does it touch mealy bug?  NO!   >:(  It's good on greenfly though......  :-\  What a pity I don't live closer to you - I'd be first in line for your next open day!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »

We were up at Bob Browns Nursery, Cotswold Garden Flowers a couple of weeks ago, it was a two and a half hour trip each way, bought some more plants. Must be fairly near you Chrissie.

What time of year did you take the B. sanguinea cutting. Is the damage to the variegated Brugmansia just the leaves at the top of the plant or all over.
Red spider mite we get here on the Brugs, as you say nothing seems to get rid of them, have tried quite a few products, some of the products aim to suffocate them, but they leave the plant very sticky. I think the best bet is to hose the underneath of the leaves regularly, but here that can cause a problem to the plants underneath the Brugs, they end up with the spider mite, so you have to hose them as well.
When we bring the Brugs in for winter, we trim the branches back to leave the main structure, then we rub off all remaining leaves, then give the bare branches a hosing down to remove any remaining spider mite. Let them dry and bring in the conservatory.

They soon start to regrow leaves, so much so they hit the roof before Spring, so have to be trimmed back again. The conservatory is heated to +9 or 10 centigrade. Many other plants shelter there for the winter, so keeping down the bugs is important. Come the Spring the Brugs are hauled outside and they are taken out of their pots, 50% of the soil and fibrous roots are cut off with an old saw. They are then stood back in the same pots and refilled with new soil. Then taken back into the conservatory till we deem that all frost has ceased. Then back outside with them in a not too sunny position to get them used to the brighter light, otherwise the sun can damage the leaves. When they have got used to the outside they are put in there permanent positions, still in pots, for the summer. A lot of work, we have ten big standard Brugs. We trained them as standards so we can plant underneath them.

Malcolm

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »
Cotswold Garden Plants is only about half an hour away from me.  It's my favourite nursery  ;D ;D  They seem to have plants there that you can't get anywhere else, and at very reasonable prices too.  I'd be there every week if it wasn't for the fact that my garden is now so full I can't shoe-horn anything else in  :(  I took the B. sanguinea cuttings in April, I think, possibly May.  You certainly put a lot of effort into looking after your Brugs, but they are such spectacular plants, they are worth it.  The perfume is fantastic.  The damage to the variegated Brugmansia seems to be all over.  Goodness knows what's eating it!!  My conservatory is double glazed, and only has background heating from a small oil-filled radiator in winter.  This keeps it just frost free, and the temperature is usually around 5°C, but dropped as low as 2°C last winter.  I have a de-humidifier in there too, because as you know, it's the combination of cold and damp which kills most plants, rather than just cold on its own.  Most things survive this low temperature, but I still have to move things like Sansevierias and succulent Euphorbias into the house as they don't tolerate such low temperatures and the roots rot.  You can't move in the conservatory in the winter - it's packed with plants!  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 11:14:15 PM »
Please excuse me for interrupting...

Thanks to Chrissie, I now have a copy of the Garden News issue with the Lyn and Malcolm garden feature.

Many thanks Chrissie it arrived in the post this morning!
and... it still has a free packet of seeds attached - Echium Little bells mixed (anyone ever grown them?)

You've saved my blushes Chrissie- I'd have hated to miss this!
And congratulations again Lyn and Malcolm :)
A good writeup by Adrian Bishop - Garden writer.
Lyn and Malcolm have an incredible website at www.lynandmalc.co.uk containing a database with photographs and details of every plant in the garden
Indeed you have 8)

Q: Do you spend long in the garden?
A: We both have jobs. I work for myself and Lyn looks after five other gardens. But we are in our garden pretty much all of our spare time
Devotion, dedication - the stuff gardens are made of :)
I had to read this bit twice:
Lyn looks after five other gardens
How do you guys do it!!!

Did you give Adrian a backhander Malcolm? I see "his" garden gets the double page photo spread :)

P.S. Ive just read your column (p31) Chrissie, and see you are having a new 10x12ft greenhouse in Nov or December to replace your 8x10. Looks like you will have a lot of plants in the conservatory during the dismantling and re-construction.
Soon, l'll start another topic to discuss your column (Lots of namedropping of good plant names ;) and I love that foliage combination you discovered :))

Get out and buy this magazine each week folk. I really am impressed with the content. The editorial team are doing an incredible job, including our own Chrisie Harten. I think a link to your websites is in order Chrissie:
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/
and your flower aranging website:
http://www.bromsgroveflowerclub.org.uk/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:23:36 PM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:29 AM »
Thanks for the kind words and the plug George!  :-*  Can't wait for my new greenhouse - I'll post a picture when it's up and running!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »
You are very welcome Chrissie :)

I wish you luck with the dismantling and assembly. I was lucky to get mine as a gift. Had to dismantle it in Belfast and transport it home then reassemble. Broke a few panes in the dismantling process (they were almost glued to the rubber beading) but otherwise it went fine.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 03:37:41 PM »
George wrote  "Did you give Adrian a backhander Malcolm? I see "his" garden gets the double page photo spread"

It was what Garden News chose to feature George, pictures were taken of both gardens. We did suggest to Adrian would it be possible to feature both gardens, but as Chrissie mentioned in a posting above, that is the format Garden News usually use, one double page spread with inserts.
I am not going to say which garden is the best. ;D

Don't forget to take a look at our Garden blog now and again to see up to date pictures  http://www.lynandmalc.co.uk/garden%20blog%20sept.htm

We should be visiting East Ruston Old Vicarage garden in Norfolk on Sunday. Now there is a garden, that has had loads a money spent on it. ???
Will see what it is like.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:46:36 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »