Our Gardens > Opening your garden to a tour

Our open afternoon last Wednesday

(1/1)

Lyn and Malcolm:

The usual problem, how many visitors might come, how many cakes to make?

On the same day last year, which was cloudy with some light rain showers, we broke our record and had 128 visitors in the 3 hours we were open, which was more than we thought we would get.

This year sun and cloud but dry.
Well we had exactly 200 visitors in the 3 hours, and ran out of cake half way through that time.
Lyn had made some shortbreads that morning just in case.
She ended up serving those with strawberry jam, which soon went. She raided the fridge and then served strawberries and whipped cream, till they were all gone as well. :(

The joys of opening your garden. ::)

Malcolm

ideasguy:
Well done Malcolm! I'm delighted to see the interest in your garden is very much on the increase.
Its a must for anyone who is fortunate enough to be visiting the area who live is those parts.
One day, I hope to be one of your visitors!
Oh, yes - and I'll turn up as soon as possible after opening to avoid missing the cake  ;)

newplantguy:
Well done on the number over visitors to your garden.
I hope to visit one day and as George says it seems to get there early is a good idea to be able to taste some of Lyn's cakes.  ;D
Paul.

NightHawk:
Congratulations Lyn and Malcolm on a job well done.

We would also enjoy paying you a visit.
Kathy has a lot of fond memories of the Dorset area, living in Blandford Forum when she was a little girl.
So, maybe we'll get down your way in the not too distant future.

Laurie.

Lyn and Malcolm:

George, Paul and Laurie

It would be a pleasure to meet all of you one day, and be assured if we knew you were coming, cake would be reserved for you as well.

I used to belong to Real Gardeners forum, and we put on a special open day for them, must have been about six years ago, it was great to see everyone in person. I remember that I made one of my obelisks for the raffle we held.

Paul
Lyn doesn't normally make the cakes, I usually make them, sometimes with help from Lyn, sometimes not, depending if she is working or not. It is about 25 I have made so far this summer for the open days.
For our next openiing we are making 15, which will make about 160 large slices. Our helpers have not been able to have any on our open days, and are getting a bit upset. >:(
How many teas and cakes we sell is limited to some extent by the number of tables/seats we can accomodate. Filling the smallish garden would defeat what visitors come to see, although refreshments do come high on their list. So much so that we actually turn our sitting room into a tea room as well. How many people would do that?  ;D

Malcolm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version