Author Topic: What is this flower in Kirtlington Church  (Read 5613 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
What is this flower in Kirtlington Church
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
Anthea and I were in the church at Kirtlington, Oxfordshire, on Saturday.This flower arrangement was in the porch, marred a little by being placed beside a notice board.

I was in a hurry to get into the church and just glanced at it. Anthea later asked me what the flowers were with the lilies and she was quite scornful when I said "Weren't they white roses?" We went back to look and of course she was right. But what are they?

Of course I know a lily when I see one  ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

Re: What is this flower in Kirtlington Church
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
Nobody has answered this question but perhaps it is not surprising because we have discovered that it is grown in the the Carribean area and now in Japan and New Zealand for the cut flower trade (contributing to global warming by being flown here!!!)

We were chatting to a lady arranging flowers in Horsham Parish Church and she told me that it is a Lisianthus which I have since looked up on the internet. Much favoured by brides, we were told.

Lovely as it is I think it is a great shame we have to fly flowers around the globe instead of using ones grown here.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
Well done Eric! No wonder it had us stumped on the forum :D

That plant is also known as Eustoma grandiflorum. I have it (and the two others below) in the Master Database and when I click the RHS button, I find it was last listed in 2008, so it was available in the UK up to that date.

Chiltern Seeds sell Eustoma russellianum, F1 hybrid, 'Echo Series' 'Echo' Formula Mixed 
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/321142/moreinfo/pid/31510619
Synonym: Lisianthus
This is a splendid range of flowers specially bred for growing in pots or for the production of luxury, long-lasting cut flowers. A double-flowered variety, it produces blooms about 3¼ ins. across, velvet-like in texture with lots of lovely petals and something everyone will be talking about! A wonderful cut flower, a bunch of which will go a long way to settle any argument! The formula mix is made up of several separate colours including blue picotee, pink picotee, yellow and pure white. 2½ ft.

and also another variety, Eustoma russellianum, F1 hybrid, 'Heidi Series', 'Heidi' Formula Mixed.
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/321142/moreinfo/pid/31510616
Superseding the 'Yodel Series' we have offered previously, this is another splendid new range of flowers specially bred for growing in pots or for the production of luxury, long-lasting cut flowers. As the bloom develops, it starts like a Rose, passes through a Tulip-like phase and at the end transforms into a Poppy. Definitely a flower for Superseding the ?Yodel Series? we have offered previously, this is another splendid new range of flowers specially bred for growing in pots or for the production of luxury, long-lasting cut flowers. As the bloom develops, it starts like a Rose, passes through a Tulip-like phase and at the end transforms into a Poppy. Definitely a flower for birthdays and other not-to-be-forgotten anniversaries. The formula mix is made up of several separate colours, all very lovely, including salmon, pink picotee, deep blue, wine red, rich champagne and yellow. 2-2½ ft.

I think Eustoma russellianum is a synonym of Eustoma grandiflorum  ::)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:07:26 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:06:51 AM »
Great George, thanks. It would be nice to think that the ones I saw were home grown after all (although I doubt it).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »
I'd be very surprised if they are not grown for market on the continent Eric.

We can also buy seed from T&M
www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/2562/1.html
Says they are "Challenging" in Germination and Aftercare : Care Required
I would agree - I think I tried them before. From memory I do believe I had a few plants but they never developed to flowering stage - probably started too late.

PS Malcolm probably has them in his exquisite garden :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:18:21 AM by ideasguy »