Author Topic: Best way to deal with Synonyms?  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Djem

Best way to deal with Synonyms?
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
As an example,

Family: Lamiaceae
Genus: Solenostemon
Species: scutellarioides
Cultivar: Kiwi Fern

Synonym:Coleus blumei
Synonym:Coleus scutellarioides
Synonym: Coleus x hybridus
Synonym: Solenostemon x hybridus

I see in a thread on clematis that you mention there is a synonym button if you already have duplicates in your database, where you can mark one as such.

I work with inventory for a living, and deal with cross referencing, super-ceding and substituting part numbers daily.  Basically choosing what number we are bound and determined to call the parent ID and linking all the rest to it.  No matter where you type a linked ID in the database, the Parent ID appears.

Is there something similar here?

Thanks
J

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Best way to deal with Synonyms?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
For others reading this topic, I designed Ideas Genie to work seamlessly with the Plant naming conventions described on the RHS website.
Heres your starter for ten :D
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantnaming/index.asp

Synonyms are discussed on this page:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantnaming/hownameswork.asp

To quote one paragraph from that website:
Although the ideal is for each species or cultivar to have only one name, anyone dealing with plants soon comes across a situation where one plant has received two or more names, or two plants have received the same name. In each case, only one name and application, for reasons of precision and stability, can be regarded as correct.

As they state on that web page, its a thorny subject!
Oddly, no Ideas Genie users have asked for anything special in recording Synonyms, Julie.
As you see, I did see the need and provided a checkbox so the user could record if a plant was a symonym of another plant.
However, I havent as yet provided the feature to allow the user to link the synonym to its correct name.

So, a new feature begins!

I could do this.
First, you would have to make an entry in the database for the correct plant name. In your example:
Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Kiwi Fern'

I could provide a new tab in screen GA100S36 (the plant profile screen)
For entering synonyms, you can already check the Synonym checkbox, indicating that that plant is not the correct name.
The idea at present is that you also type the correct name in the Data for this Plant/Cultivar Data field.

When you click the "new tab"= Synonyms, I could provide the ability to find the Correct name for the plant (eg. using the same search feature as in the initial screen of GA004 - so you only need to type a few characters to locate any plant in your database)
You then link that synonym to the plant with the correct name.

Using that cross reference system:
In the initial screen of GA004 (for example) when you search and select a synonym, the correct name would be offered.
You then have the option to edit or view the plant with the correct name or work with the synonym.

Any suggestions on how you'd like this to work would be much appreciated from all users.
e.g. Option in preferences to hide synonyms from listings
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:29:09 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Djem

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
Your take on the idea sounds perfect.

My main use would to weed out/prevent record duplication down the road.  By having the ability to link records from the beginning, if two years down the road, when my mind is foggier I purchase another specimen that happens to be using a synonym for it's labeling.  When I start to enter that synonym, it pops up saying wait! That record already exists as such and such and allows you to move to that parent record.

I get persnickety when it comes to record keeping, my employees absolutely despise it :)  That's why I am enjoying this software so much, someone else is just as detail orientated.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
Thats good to read Julie.

RE:
I get persnickety when it comes to record keeping...
...someone else is just as detail orientated
Yes, as you have observed, I think I fit into that category and its reflected in the software.
Its great when it finds its way to people who appreciate what it does.

My suggested plan is to keep a plant record for the synonyms as well.
Is that OK with you?

I could make it that you only keep the correct name, and the cross referencing would be done in a new lookup table.
Which do you (and other members) prefer?

Offline Djem

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
I can see how keeping a record of the synonym would be appropriate, that is acceptable to me.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
Thats great Julie. Its the easiest way, since very often you have the synonym in the database and have been using that plant name before out that it has been superceded.

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
1. Does this work with the proposed feature?  Let?s assume I originally entered all data (affecting plant, specimens, gardeners) with a synonym.  I edit the genus-species-cultivar fields to the correct name.  Then I begin a new plant entry, click synonym, enter the synonym name I had been using, and link it to the correct name.  I now have all the previously entered data with the correct name, and one synonym record with just genus-species-cultivar that points to the correct name.

2. I would want to show synonyms on a case-by-case basis, rather than an all encompassing yes or no preference.  Perhaps that could be a check box choice when the synonym is entered?

Monica

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
1. Yes
Thats the best way to do it.
Specimens will also be attached to the original profile, even though it has been renamed.
Photos will remain linked.

I dont understand your reasoning Monica.
RE:
Perhaps that could be a check box choice when the synonym is entered
The synonym will be added as a normal plant, using the standard screens.
There is one check box in the Plant Profile screen - GA100S36.
Checked = its a synonym (already provided)
In the new feature, when you check the Synonym check box, you will be able to link the synonym plant to the plant with the correct name.
Is that OK?

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
I just posted a note re. synonyms but had somehow missed this series of posts on the topic - so have deleted mine. I do think that it would be very useful to have the facility to record a synonym as George suggested in GA100S36. Or perhaps in GA100S02. Either way I support the idea for such a facility.

Cheers,
Trevor

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
Well spotted Trevor, and good to see you on the forum again.

Its on the agenda as part of the next upgrade!
Not ready for that just yet, but I'm also looking forward to providing the brand new look and feel to the software, as Ive done in the new edition of Bank Genie.