Author Topic: Welcoming Julie from Michigan  (Read 4109 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcoming Julie from Michigan
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
Hello and welcome Julie, and thank you for registering on our forum.

Ideas Genie Pro is winging its way to Michigan to a Rose lover, judging by your website:
http://jcfx.net/

I hope you enjoy it here Julie, and I hope you find time to telll us about your gardening in MI.

NightHawk

Re: Welcoming Julie from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
Welcome Julie.

I hope you'll be able to give us the benefit of your Roses knowledge and other gardening experiences.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Laurie.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
Welcome Julie.
Looking forward to hearing more about Rose's I only have one climbing one in the garden, not sure which it is.
My grandfather grew them as a hobby, mainly florabunda, named his house Florabunda.
Anyway enjoy the forum you will find it quite diverse.
We also want to see how long it takes you to print labels using Ideas Genie Pro!! on my computer ut takes 43 seconds to process and get to the printer - something George has been working on.
Paul.

Offline Djem

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
Greetings,

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I am really looking forward to receiving the software.  I spent a lot of time researching, even considered my own access database attempt, but after reading everything here on the forums, I think this product will be perfect.  Currently I track my gardens via Microsoft One note and regular three ring binders. :)

As far as gardening, I purchased my first rose bush in 1992, talked my father into letting me plant it out side my window.  Three years later I was taking care of 140 various floribundas, grandifloras and hybrid teas on that site.  Of course I had moved out on my own by then and had another garden growing at my cottage in another town, about 30 more bushes.  Eight years later I purchased the home next to my parents, transplanted some of my favorite roses and now maintain three separate rose garden sites.  Combine this with my perennials and 10 4x8 raised beds for vegetables and herbs I have my hands full tracking what is where.

My secrets to great gardens?  My parents and my self raise horses and sell fishing bait (worms and minnows) so I have the best fertilizer and compost available to me for only the price of moving it from one property to the next :)

Far from perfect I have problem areas just like anyone else.  The gardens I have in front of my porch are extremely hard to keep productive.  Its a never ending battle against quack grass discovering what perennials will last more than a year or two.

Thank you again for the gracious welcome.

Julie

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
I'm delighted to see you have found your way around the forum and have posted your first message Julie.
Thats the hard bit over :)

Phil will support you in your assessment of Horse manure as fertiliser :)

You've made a good start at documenting your plants already, and it should be very easy to add them to the Ideas Genie Pro database.
Ive just done a check, and find here are 3445 Rosa in the Master Database.
However, Ive also checked to see if we have the varieties on your web site.
Only two of the six varieties (ignoring the unknown variety) are listed:
Rosa 'Royal Highness'
and
Rosa Scentimental (='Wekplapep')   
I'm not surprised at that. There are thousands more! It will be interesting to see how many of your large collection are listed.
I find it difficult tending to one garden. Hats off to you for looking after three  Julie 8) - and quite a few miles apart at that :o

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:39:52 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:11:32 PM »
welcome to the forum

Phil will support you in your assessment of Horse manure as fertiliser
  ;D thats me good stuff works wonder, but i have also heard that worm casts can be good aswell

enjoy the forum and igpro

Phil