Author Topic: CLEMATIS armandii  (Read 3505 times)

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
CLEMATIS armandii
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »
One of my favorite Clematis, brightens up the early spring days. It has been in flower about 3 weeks here this year the flower is particularly good.
The brilliant white flowers give off quite a strong scent not unlike hawthorn.
It is evergreen and is a little tender so prefers a sheltered wall.
I have it growing up against the wall scrambling through a Ceanothus 'Concha'
It requires little care other than to remove and dead stems after flowering.
I must say it was a relief to see it after the winter this year, I recorded -12c on one occasion.
Paul.   :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: CLEMATIS armandii
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »

A nice clematis, but grows too rampant for our small garden. Although I think you can prune it quite hard.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
If it provides early spring bloom like that Paul, its worth considering for my south facing wall.
As a comparison, does it flower much earlier tham C. montana? Thats one of the earliest in my garden.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »
It is a little tender it prefers to be on a sheltered wall so yours should be fine as long as it does not dry out completely.
Clemtis Montana's flower late spring, armandii is early, march you will even see flower buds late Feb, I would think where you are it would be late Feb, this year it is a little late in my garden. The thing is George the foliage is evergreen and you could consider it to be unusual. I have not seen a plant anywhere near me. So after the flowers you will have the dark green glossy leaves. I will see if there are any cuttings later and then I can send you some.
Paul.