Author Topic: STRELITZIA reginae  (Read 13232 times)

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
STRELITZIA reginae
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »
Ok, it's not a garden plant here, this plant we have in out conservatory, it flowers for us every two years.
It reminds me of sunny places, as it flowers toward the end of February into early March.
I bought it at a local garden center from their bargin area looking slightly sad, now it's a find specimen.
Quite easy to care for, likes a sunny spot so the conservatory is ideal, it will also tolerate it quite cool in the winter, we are south facing so it gets plenty of light.
Paul.   :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: STRELITZIA reginae
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »

We have had one for at least 6 years, at that time it was only about 30cm tall. We are still waiting for a flower. ::)

Currently it has a new spike growing up, but not sure if it is a flower or a leaf. The plant is about a metre tall.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »
We have had ours for about 4 years, it was about 50cm so I reckon that it is about 6 to 7 years old.
It you have a spike it could be a flower!!
Now it is about 120cm by 100cm.
Paul. :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »

Can only hope it is a flower  ;D
The plant is in the greenhouse at the moment, enjoying the sun.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Lets hope so, if it is a flower spike it will not unfurl into a leaf so if it's been a spike for a while and not unfurling then it could be a flower!! :) I have just looked at mine I do not think there will be any more flowers this year, we have only had the one spike  :(
it has been sunny here today, but quite cool now it is turning very cold so I think there will be a frost.

Paul.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul.

Monica (from Texas) is on holidays at present. No doubt they would be better suited to that clime and she may make us all very envious :D
Not one for cool ol' Ireland, that one. I'll content myself with admiring them as I did when on holidays in Malaga and Albufiera.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
Yes, I expect they may well like Texus.
I remember seeing them on holidays as well - Mexico.
You could always try one in your greenhouse.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Greenhouse is 12x8 and is packed to capacity most of the year round Paul. Expecting two consignments anytime now and it could be fun finding staging for them. I grow all the container plants for my sons and sisters so May and June is going to be real busy this year.

I'm expecting another new member to join us - Edna from Florida. I haven't heard from her since 2005.
When I checked, I found she was the fifth person to buy Flower Genie.
She tells me she is in the beginning stages of actually selling plants. Wonder if she stocks that one?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »

Paul

The spike is still growing in length, so no sign really of what it might be, will take a picture of the spike tomorrow.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
Will look for picture tommorrow.
Paul.

Offline Edna

• Southwest Florida Gardening
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
I used to grow Bird of Paradise in a 12 inch clay pot when I lived in Ohio. Mine started out as one of those little things tourists buy at Disney World, in a two inch plastic pot and about 5 or 6 inches tall. I had it for many years, I'm guessing at least 10 years in that clay pot.  In the spring, when all danger of frost was gone, I would put it out on the front porch, which faced more or less east, if I remember right. I always put a shovelful of goat manure in the pot as a top dressing and the plant would present me with one spectacular flower spike in June or July. One year, someone told the local newspaper about my "strange flower" and they actually sent a reporter to take pictures of it. And of course, when the nights began to cool down, I made sure to move it back inside the house, in the sunniest spot possible, for the Autumn and Winter seasons.

In 1989 I moved to Florida and you can bet I made sure there was room in the truck for my Bird of Paradise plant! I moved to southwest Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico coast about midway between Sarasota and Fort Myers. That's zone 9a or 10, depending on how your map is set up. I put my baby outside in the middle of my parents' yard so it could feel the Florida sun on its leaves first thing in the morning.

There was a frost. It was a light frost, but a frost all the same.

Baby complained, leaves turned brown, but it survived. As soon as I got a home of my own, I planted the Bird of Paradise in my yard. It grew and grew.... but it never ever produced a flower spike.

There's got to be a moral here somewhere...

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »
I'm told that to encourage flower it has to be pot bound, when mine first flowered it was pot bound, to the point that roots were coming out of the top of the pot.
I potted it on last year and so I think that is why there was only one flower this time around.
I have keep it inside here although it would most likely be ok outside during the summer months as long as it was sheltered.
Paul.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »

Hello Edna

Thank you for telling us all about your Strelitzia, very interesting.

We had a week in Madeira about 5 years ago in springtime, we visited several of the well known gardens in Madeira. I remember one of the gardens had permanent beds full of Strelitzia and they were in full bloom.

I think Madeira has a very stable 19 to 22 degrees centigrade climate. It is an island surrounded by the sea, which keeps the temperature stable.
So I guess they don't need to be roasted in high temperatures to flower.

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »

The flower bud or leaf ?

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
Malcolm,
It looks like a flower, looking at the flower spike on mine yours is similar, fingers crossed.
Paul.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »

Thank you Paul.
It is supposed to get a lot warmer for next week, Watch this space.  ;D

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
It's supposed to be a lot warmer here next week as well.
Paul.  :)

Offline Edna

• Southwest Florida Gardening
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »

The flower bud or leaf ?

Malcolm
I think that's a leaf. You can see the "seam" which would be the edge of the unfurled leaf. The flower stalks are perfectly smooth, without that seam on the side.
Sometimes the only way you can see these things is with a photo, taken up close. The camera picks up things our eyes miss.
I hope I'm wrong here... I'd really like to "hear" you scream with delight at the sight of a flower!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 06:24:29 PM »

Thank you Edna for that  :'(

Time will tell. If it is a flower  ;D and if it is a leaf  ::) will have to try harder.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
The spike you have looks like mine, I still think it's a flower!!
Paul :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »

I think we will have to wait and see, I am not putting any money on it either way. ;D

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »

Just over 2 months since my post above and I can say it is definatley a flower, it has now tipped 90 degrees to the stalk, just need a little more patience before the flower opens.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
Thats good news Malcolm, I was certain that it was a flower. ;D Mine finished flowering a while ago, not expecting any more now until next year.
Paul.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »

Back quicker than I thought, it started to flower yesterday, and opened more today.
How long can I expect the flower to last Paul. It is just inside the greenhouse door at the moment.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
Well done on the flower it looks great :)
I was thinking how long mine was in flower, you will have more flowers that will come out of the single bud. They kind of move along the main bud until they reach the end you might even have some seed.
I believe that you could have flowers for the next 10 days or so, as it's warm though they might not last as long as in the early part of the year.
Paul.