Author Topic: Ive got squatters!!  (Read 1855 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Ive got squatters!!
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:59:22 PM »
There I was, out in the greenhouse, merrily examining the seed trays for signs of life when this creature burst onto the scene.
Scared the wits out of me!

But, sure 'twas only a little Robin.
Suddenly, my mind flashed back to spring 2003, when a Robin decided to nest in a discarded pot on the top of my greenhouse staging. Not again, SURELY!

I was a bit late in my greenhouse cleanup again, and sure enough, it HAS happened again.
I found the nest, again in a 5in pot lying on its side, buit this time in the lower shelf of my staging.

Theres 5 little eggs, and mother has decided I'm not a threat, as she has returned to the nest and is "in residence".
Ive now been stepping on tip-toes every time I go into the greenhouse, and can work around the Robin if its nerves will bear the strain.

OK, thats bad enough. Ive had a tree surgeon round, and accepted his quote to cut down a huge Ash tree in my boundary hedge.
I heard a commotion one morning, and found a dove chasing a Magpie out of the Damson tree just under the Ash tree.
Yep, you've guesssed it... another nest. Mother dove has decided to make a very fragile looking nest in a tangle of twigs in the old Damson tree.
Another job on hold. I had to phone the tree guy and tell him I'd ring him when the Doves had vacated.

Now, theres one problem... my dog always bones a few fledglings every year. I know when he's done it, because he meets me at the gate when I get back from work, and if hes been "bad" he sidles down the driveway as if he thinks I know already! He wrinkles his nose in a strange way. Its a real tell-tale. A dog with conscience!
Anyway, I take a walk around the garden, usually find a little lifeless creature and point and scold. Off he goes, slinks to his box, and does his pennance.
He's usually a docile harmless big thing, but I suppose a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do.

To be continued!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Ive got squatters!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 11:15:39 AM »
They have hatched
I dared to have a very quick peep into the nest on Saturday 6th May and there they were.
Didnt do a headcount (or a beakcount). Thats usually easier when they grow a bit. The beaks open in expectancy at the least sign of activity.

I'm worried about the doves. Ive had a good look from the bottom of the tree. Mother is not at home, and I'm not sure if theres anything in the nest.
I'd have to climb the tree to find out!

To be continued

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Ive got squatters!!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
Friday 12th May:
They have now flown the nest, leaving two unhatched eggs. I hope mother didnt lose them because of me keeping her off the nest!

I took a photo on what turns out to be the night before they dispersed.
There were three little babies.
I cut the lawn on Friday night and didnt notice any little carcasses, so hopefully their maiden flight wasnt into the path of my dog!

I wonder if mother felt safe from cats by building in the greenhouse. The dogs kennel is right outside.

Anyway, now I can get the greenhouse reorganised and dont have to tread softly any more.