Author Topic: far too much choice  (Read 6016 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
far too much choice
« on: April 17, 2006, 05:53:19 PM »
I read the boutade of a pair of seed suppliers: "You (=gardeners) never had it so good". In a far past I still hear the echoed words of a political leader, but what is meant here is that gardeners now have a nearly unlimited choice between plantspecies and -cultivars. Dare I say that this is in my eyes rather a disadvantage? I think a good underlying structure of gardens demands lesser varieties of form and colour or am I too old-fashioned? :-\

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: far too much choice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
Partly agree, in that too many cultivars are "lookalikes".

Even so, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the suggestion that an unlimited choice of plants is a disadvantage. I love the introduction of new plants, and look forward to new catalogs each year revealing the delights for the new season.

However, its only if they have something distinctive to offer in colour, form, height, foliage, flowering period, hardiness to name just a few properties.

Hence my enthusiasm and fascination with the "Nursery and Seed Catalogs on CD" project. If we can get Nurseries and Seed suppliers interested, we can have nice new catalogs on CD each year, and photos anmd notes about the latest introductions.

This forum is the place to discuss new plants we've tried, how they performed, and if they matched the plant label description.

OK, members, please have your say.