Author Topic: Crop rotation systems  (Read 6832 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Crop rotation systems
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »
If we can gather the input from our members, I'd like to compile and publish a web page with:
a) three year crop rotation
b) four year crop rotation
c) five year crop rotation

The primary aim is to make a list of the common names for vegetables, and where they fit into the Crop Rotation systems
e.g. Potatoes, Lettuce, Cabbage, Peas, Beans, etc

To make a start, we will take just one of a) b) or c) above.

Do you grow veg? (or do you intend to start)
Please reply with which one you use, and we will continue from there.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:51:23 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Crop rotation systems
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
At this transition stage of our house move I would say that Kathy intends to grow some vegetables at our new home.

As you know, our current gardens are not large enough to cater for vegetable growing, so we've never got into it before.

So George, you could put us down as 'intend to start', but until we move we can't offer much input for this topic.

We'll still keep track of what everyone else is doing, so over to our other members to give us their input.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
Your interest will be much appreciated, Kathy and Laurie.
Ive never grown vegetables seriously before, so I'm on the same learning curve.
We recovered what turned out to be a good bed "from nature" last year, but we just grew a lot of different things in the same bed.
Two other beds were used for peas and beans.

This year, I'm working on a fourth bed.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
this is  my first year of growing veg after many years of not doing, i planned to use a 4 year rotation, here is a very good site with loads of info http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/crop-rotation/four-year-crop-rotation.php i refer to this page for help

and to further explain crop rotation http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/crop-rotation/index.php well worth the read further links to rotation are at the bottom

for me how it is outlined in the 4 year crop rotation is what i intend to adapt and use, taking away what vegetables we dont eat, like cabbage horrible disgusting stuff reminds me of the stuff you used to get at school, but i love brussels

Phil

Offline roiphil

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
Your interest will be much appreciated, Kathy and Laurie.
Ive never grown vegetables seriously before, so I'm on the same learning curve.
We recovered what turned out to be a good bed "from nature" last year, but we just grew a lot of different things in the same bed.
Two other beds were used for peas and beans.

This year, I'm working on a fourth bed.

well done on reclaiming that nature bed, i know that to get a veg patch from a piece of land all overgrown etc can be hard work, where did you get your veg seeds from i wonder  ;)  :D  ;D  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Well, now you have asked, it says on the packets:
www.magicseederireland.com  ;)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:31:58 PM »
i think that was a very good mention on the packets  ;D

Offline bossgard

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »
George:

Yes, I do vegetable crop rotation, so put me down for a 4-year plan.
That seems to be the standard, for this area, and I believe it is based on
dealing with 'Cabbage Moth' in the Brassicaeae, which is quite common.
It takes the four years before it is safe to replant Brassicaeae in that same bed.

By the way, I have tried Crop Covers, Pesticides, putting diseased plants
in the dumpster for removal off premises, etc.  Haven't licked it yet!
My understanding, it is caused by a light yellow 'butterfly', which flutters around
here quite a bit.

It would be interesting to talk to Katie, and tap her local MG resources on the subject.

- Toby

Offline roiphil

Offline bossgard

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
George:

You might want to put this in the 'pile', too.

In the 4-year crop rotation plan that I have planned for 2010, ithere is included an annual
soil enrichment program, which may also dictate which plants are planted where.

But we have plenty of time for considertion, for it's not implemented
until all the Brassicaeae and other vegetables have been harvested in early winter.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »
Yes, thats part of this project Toby. If we get enough input, we can include that.

Offline Katie

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 03:19:17 AM »
I'm interested in this project as I do grow veggies every year.  For the past few years I've only had 180 square feet of raised beds to grow my veggies in.  Plus I place a couple of tomatoes in pots against the sunniest, warmest rock wall I have.  We have rather cool summers here in Seattle, WA so often have what locals call a "green tomato year."  However, with good planning its possible to get ripe tomatoes in cool years.  Anyway, I digress from the main topic.

With only 180 square feet of beds, my main crop rotation has just been the tomatoes growing in the raised beds.  The asparagus, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and huckleberries are in additional permanent locations.  And just last year I decided I wanted to try some specialty potatoes but didn't want to give up any of my raised bed real estate.  A couple of "potato barrels" out on the hangar apron did the trick.  (yes, we have a little Cessna in our attached hangar.)

Our local Master Gardener authority states, "The most critical rotations, in my opinion, are the onion family (onions, scallions, leeks, shallots and garlic) and the cabbage family (cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collards, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, pak choi, radishes and turnips)."

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 02:05:57 PM »
A vote from the Texas Gulf Coast is 4 years, if you?re including other than temperate climates.

Disease is a major factor.  For us, brassicas (coles) are the most problematic, followed by the nightshade family ? tomato, pepper, eggplant, potato.

Since we have 12-month growing season, we also have to keep in mind yearly double-cropping (spring and autumn planted) for some veggies:  e.g  tomatoes, ?English peas? (as opposed to southern field peas), beans, beets.  That translates to 16 seasons in a 4 year rotation.

One of our master gardeners researched various factors to be considered in crop rotation in smaller gardens.  Besides diseases/pests, they included nutrient uptake needs, soil enrichment and size of plants (tall/short, whether one shaded another too much).  She concluded that record keeping, important everywhere, is absolutely essential in our climate

Phil, keep your sprouts  :P.  Give me cabbage any day  ;D.

Monica

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »
Thanks for your input Monica.
We will concentrate on one system (4 year looking like it is the most popular) and see what we can learn from that.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »

Phil, keep your sprouts  :P.  Give me cabbage any day  ;D.

Monica

yuk cabbage like eating slugs, not that i have ate slugs but i can imagine it all slimey  ;D