Author Topic: Hello All from Newbie Monica on the Texas Gulf Coast  (Read 9403 times)

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
Hello All from Newbie Monica on the Texas Gulf Coast
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:14:04 AM »
A Greeting to All the Pros,

I?m never sure what to say in these introductions; maybe ?Hi, my name is Monica, and I?m a plantaholic?, but I?m not willing to give up the addiction.

I?ve lived the last 5 years on the Upper Texas Gulf Coast, about 55 miles (90 km) south of Houston and 8 miles (13 km) inland from the Gulf of Mexico (think hurricanes, think REALLY high homeowner?s insurance).

Our climate here is considered humid sub-tropical.  Yearly averages are:
Rainfall:  55? (140 cm)
Humidity: morning 90%, afternoon 64%
Minimum Temps:  January 45°F (7°C) to July 77°F (25°C)
Maximum Temps: January 63° (17°C) to July-August 90° (32°C)
Yearly Probability of Temperatures Below Freezing:  1% (or 3.5 days)

We?ve been living the life of USDA Zone 9B/10A for 20 years.  This winter El Niño threw a tantrum and we experienced 4 consecutive nights (50 hours) in January of below freezing temps, causing most of our tropicals to turn to mush.  Luckily many are now resurrecting from the roots, but many of our gardens won?t look the same for 2-3 years.  Our very long growing season will help us out.

Mr. Ideasguy suggested that I give a special ?hello? to Malcolm as we grow a number of plants in common, and I?m very curious about the climate in Devon and how it compares to mine.  We have some old (maybe 20 years) Cycas revoluta specimens that are 3m tall and look like palm trees.

For you veggie gardeners, we grow all year (tomatoes are in now as they?ll be fried by July; then another planting of tomatoes goes in mid-late September), but between pests and diseases crop rotation is a bit more challenging than in milder climates.

I also gardened many years in Minnesota (with a growing season of about 4 weeks  :D), and had the opportunity to garden in Honduras during an archaeology dig as well as Morocco where I lived off-and-on for 5 years.

As George mentioned in his welcome, I?m a Master Gardener.  Believe me, that?s not meant as a qualification of extraordinary expertise, but simply a national program designation.  We assist university agriculture departments through Extension Officers to educate the public about horticultural matters and best practices through community speaking engagements, a newsletter and gardening seminars.  We also maintain display gardens ? natives, tropicals, veggies, citrus and fruit orchard, small fruits, herbs, general ornamentals ? where we conduct trials, test out new plants and maintain ornamental plantings.

I?m hoping to use Ideas Genie Pro to track our display plants, aggregate trial results, and maybe even have time to enter what?s in my own garden!

Looking forward to tapping your expertise as I venture into Ideas Genie Pro.

Monica 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Hello All from Newbie Monica on the Texas Gulf Coast
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
Well, thats a pretty impressive introduction, I have to say!

You certainly have travelled a lot, and gardened a lot - in very contrasting conditions!

Lots of things to discuss yet, Monica. I'm very much looking forward to your support on the forum.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your display gardens and plant trials. I will enjoy working with you on your projects. Its perfect for IG pro! With your ideas, we can make it even better - thats where the forum shines.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »
welcome monica, i am sure you will enjoy yourself here and teach us a thing or 2 and we maybe even able to teach you something, currently we have going on a veggie project lesson using IGpro http://www.garden-software.co.uk/vegetables/Intro/intro.html, which are very good because it gets you used to using all different aspects of IGPro which you can then use on your normal plants, (thats if you can remember what you did to get to a certain place)  ::) like me i always forget what button does what until i have used it several times, then it becomes much easier

Phil

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »

And a welcome from us too Monica. 8)

I am getting very jealous of your climate already, but you can keep the hurricanes.

We are near the South coast of UK in Dorset, but it still gets pretty cold here in winter, lowest so far this winter minus 7.6 c and a cumulative total to date of 155c of frost over 51 nights, but not as cold as last year. ::)

Cycas revoluta, well ours is only about 26 inches tall and in a pot, we are lucky to get a new flush of leaves every year, I guess we have had it for about 6 years.

Look forward to hearing more from you, and if you have not seen our garden website already here is the link

www.lynandmalc.co.uk

Malcolm

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
Hello again,

Phil:  I've looked at the on-liine screen shots and followed some of your discussions about the veggie module.  At first glace, all those buttons and program names made my teeth ache.  I'll probably have to pay you to fly over here for consultation :o.  Instead of going to Sweden, Netherlands & Morocco this spring, I should have just planned a trip to the UK!

Malcolm:  Yes, I've had an extensive look at your website and plant listings -- absoultely stunning.  We'll have a lot of common plants about which to share info.  Instead of Cycas revoluta, have you tried to source Cycas taitungensis (I think the common name is Prince Sago).  It's very similar but hardier and much faster growing, flushing up to 6 times a year.  Readily available in US, but I could only find seed sources in UK during a brief check.

I'd love to grow some of Lyn's flowers here, but, alas, only a few would survive (although I'm quite familiar with a number of them as I grew them in Minnesota).

This is going to be an exciting adventure in learning and sharing.

Monica

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »

Monica

Glad you liked our little  ;D Website.

I could only find one outlet here in UK for Cycas taitungensis plants, I am not sure I dare ask them the price  :o

Seed is available for this Cycad, have you any knowledge of this one?

Cycas panzhihuaensis £6.49     
3 large seeds
From China, this is the most cold hardy of all cycads. It will take severe frosts to -8C, and is tolerant of damp and wet as well as drought conditions. It is very fast and easy to grow, and, with heavy fertilizing, will produce three flushes of dark green to bluish leaves per year, and grow up to an incredible 2ft of trunk in just five years from seed. It is the only cycad suitable for UK outdoor use and even then only in warmer areas. Note: that its native habitat are well drained limestone scree slopes.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »
Note form ideasguy:
Monica replied to Malcolms question in such depth and detail that I decided to split the topic and give the discussion on Cycads a dedicated Topic. Hope it doesn't upset the flow folk!
Heres where the topic was created:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1375.0.html

Carry on posting in this Welcome and Introduction topic, of course :) Make our new member very welcome :)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
Hello again,

Phil:  I've looked at the on-liine screen shots and followed some of your discussions about the veggie module.  At first glace, all those buttons and program names made my teeth ache.  I'll probably have to pay you to fly over here for consultation :o.  Instead of going to Sweden, Netherlands & Morocco this spring, I should have just planned a trip to the UK!

This is going to be an exciting adventure in learning and sharing.

Monica
if you come to the uk you may need to parachute over ireland  ;D  ;) the lessons are easy once you have done the same step a few times it becomes second nature, think it bossguard (toby) who prints them out then you have a piece of paper in front of you to look at whilst doing that lesson

An adventure yes but a good one

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:57 AM »
Republic of Ireland Phil,

I'm SO embarrassed.  I've been wondering what roi stood for, and, duh, it just finally sunk in.  My bad, no excuse, I knew better.

I've talked to a few other master gardeners and they're excited too, so I'll have moral support on the journey.

Monica

Offline roiphil

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »
 :D  :D  ;D dont worry about having a soft landing we have plenty of bog land around

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
:D  :D  ;D dont worry about having a soft landing we have plenty of bog land around

And the result:
1 July 4050: Archaeologists have discovered another bog body, tentatively dated to the Early Computer Age.  Clutched in the female body?s hand was an artifact known as a ?CD?, inscribed Ideas Genie Pro.  Her last meal consisted of a few salted peanuts, leading experts to believe she fell, or was pushed, from what was known as an airplane.  Forensic examination of the CD and the manner of demise suggest that she was a member of a specialized religious cult devoted to garden databases.
 ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »
Hilarious!

Very relieved to hear there was no evidence that she had jumped, and that a computer hadnt been chucked out the window just before that incident. (flashback to Tobys emails after he got a little "frustrated")

Just curious to know... what version was IG pro at?  :D ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »
Nice one Monica.  ;)

I've just had a quick trip 'Back to the Future' George and believe the version is at 4,050 Beta 5.  :o

But let's see if Monica can confirm this.  :D

Gardening techniques are now governed by telepathy.  You just think what you want to plant, it happens, and IG Pro is automatically updated.  No more dirty hands or backache.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »
...and the thinkware developer (and the forum members) have yet more wonderful "ideas" and "Whoosh" - 20 more look spots (used to be called buttons in the days of software) and a few new programs are automatically created and upgrade is ready for lightwave distribution over the galaxy, complete with updated User Guide  ;D :)

Look what youve started Monica :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:35:55 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

And the result:
1 July 4050: Archaeologists have discovered another bog body, tentatively dated to the Early Computer Age.  Clutched in the female body?s hand was an artifact known as a ?CD?, inscribed Ideas Genie Pro.  Her last meal consisted of a few salted peanuts, leading experts to believe she fell, or was pushed, from what was known as an airplane.  Forensic examination of the CD and the manner of demise suggest that she was a member of a specialized religious cult devoted to garden databases.
 ;D
love it  :D  :D no mention of a parachute could that be more airline cutbacks  ;D, instead of landing just chuck em out the door saves on fuel  ;D

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »
Sorry :(, I didn?t quote the whole article:

According to Ms Claire Murray, National Botanic Gardens of Ireland, the find gives insight into a time before the earth was completely covered in concrete, long before 3-D holographic gardening became the rage.  ?At that time, we believe gardeners used their bodies to work with actual soil,? states Ms Murray, shuddering slightly.  ?We think these early gardening practices included a need to actually enter data with their fingers, hence the primitive recording device (or ?CD? as it was called) found with Bog Garden Woman.

Mr George Kelly the 200th, present board director of the Ideas Genie for Everything conglomerate, is thrilled to find a link with his remote ancestor: ?We can?t imagine the harsh conditions under which my ancestor laboured, without the ability to telepathically view each other?s work,  or even mentally design, install and track holographic gardens.  The fervour of his disciples in that era, as witnessed with Bog Garden Lady, shows the impact he had on garden record-keeping during the Early Computer Age.?

Couldn?t find a reference to the version of IG Pro being used in 4050, but I think Laurie is probably spot on, if indeed you hit the exact time during forward travel.

Phil:  Parachutes!?  I was lucky to get those 10 salted peanuts!!  ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
Brilliant!
Begorrah, bog body people sure had a vivid imagination and a wonderful sense of humour in dem auld days  :D ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:07:43 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Katie

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 03:18:53 PM »
Welcome, Monica!

It sounds like your Master Gardeners (MG) in Texas have a lot going on ... & it sounds like you probably keep it lively!

I'm a MG in Washington State and have used IG for several years now for record-keeping at a water district display garden.  Alas, the economy bit me and I was laid off.  New adventures beckon and IG steps up to the plate.

I've encouraged another local garden that is just in the process of going public to use IG.  They have TONS of data entry ahead of them, but IG is certainly going to be instrumental in meeting their many needs.  It will be wonderful to see how it all unfolds.

Again, welcome.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Katie

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Katie.  Glad to see another MG here.  I'm just now wallowing through tutorials on IG Pro, while preparing the next issue of our newsletter.

MGs here are interested in the tracking capabilities, but they want "someone" to learn the system and then show them.  There's lots of possibilities for how we could use the program for public education.  "Someone" is going to be quite busy over the next few months.  Luckily our summer is most everybody else's winter, so I'll be able to devote more time to it in July-August.

Certainly good to hear how you've been using it -- should keep me inspired!
Monica

Offline bossgard

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 05:17:12 PM »
Katie and Monica:

If I may be so bold, can I ask a favor of both you nice ladies,
would you please tell us Forum Members the Who, Where, What, Why and When of being a MG.

I'm sure it would be much appreciated. Thank you for considering.

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
What did I do? What did I say? Did I say something offensive, if I did, I certainly do want to apologize.

There must by some 'dry' UK humor in there someplace.

MG = Master Gardener. That's one great educational group there! Wait until you learn about their mission.
We are very, very fortunate to have both Katie and Monica as Forum Members. And I thank them both.

- Toby

Offline TXGulfCoast

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »
Whew, Bossgard and other forum members, don?t know if you?ll want this much information.

The land-grant universities of the U.S. (like Texas A&M, Washington State ? the ones that were called the Ag colleges) have Extension Service Offices at the county level.  Extension Service agents are the link between the land-grant universities and the homeowner, rancher, farmer, commercial fisher, etc. to provide research-based best practices.

On-going urbanization required more info about horticulture and garden practices than the Horticulture Agents were able to provide.  ?In 1972, an innovative Extension Office Agent in the State of Washington reasoned that well-trained volunteers could respond to many of the everyday homeowner questions, thus freeing him and his colleagues for more technical and difficult problems ?And so it was, the Master Gardener Program began.?

Now a national program, it includes as well 3 Canadian provinces.  The Master Gardener Program is county-based and always associated with the Extension Service and sponsoring university.  We?re avid gardeners who receive specialized training in many different aspects of horticulture, and then ?pay back? that training in a required number of volunteer hours per year.  We?re also required to have a certain numbers of hours per year of continuing education.  There?s no specific ?pay back? format we have to follow, but we are community educators who assist the Horticulture Agent ?to give science-based information about horticulture and environmentally sound gardening practices? to the public.  My first post gave the ways used by my particular program for education.  There?s also a Junior Master Gardener program to encourage youngsters to learn and appreciate horticulture.

YES, WE ARE MAGIC GENIES!  But not Magic Genie Pros ;D.  The Master Gardener designation isn?t meant to be snobbish ? in fact, many people over the years have tried to come up with a term that doesn?t imply ?mastery? or exceptional expertise, but the term has stuck, so there you are.

Toby, I think Phil was making a good word play on Ideas Genie.  You were certainly not offensive in your post... now about that Phil...

Monica, aka Bog Body, aka Magic Genie (how many more will Phil come up with?)

Offline bossgard

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »
Monica:

That's the Master Gardener information I wanted the Forum Members to know about. Thank you.

I know Katie can speak for herself, but as an introduction to her I can tell you this:
She is a Board Member of the Lake Wilderness Foundation and Chairs its Education and Conservation Committee.

I am very familiar with the Lake Wilderness Aboretum, and it's wonderful collection of rhododendrons.
My hiking buddy and I hike the adjacent trails near by, and always take time to tour the Aboretum.
It also has the best signage program of any public garden I've been in.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 01:39:47 AM »
To Toby:
RE:
There must by some 'dry' UK humor in there someplace

It was indeed dry UK humor Toby
Ive removed the postings which caused confusion

Offline roiphil

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »

YES, WE ARE MAGIC GENIES!  But not Magic Genie Pros ;D.  The Master Gardener designation isn?t meant to be snobbish ? in fact, many people over the years have tried to come up with a term that doesn?t imply ?mastery? or exceptional expertise, but the term has stuck, so there you are.

Toby, I think Phil was making a good word play on Ideas Genie.  You were certainly not offensive in your post... now about that Phil...

Monica, aka Bog Body, aka Magic Genie (how many more will Phil come up with?)

apologies if i did cause offense it was not meant intentionally MG wordplay master gardener (i think you mentioned this one of your previous post) magic genie, how many more will i come up with ?, who knows i dont think we will ever better the bog body lady  ;D for a posting, anyway apologies

You must be very proud to a master gardener it must take lots of knowledge in gardening to become one, plus commitment in all of the free time you give to help others, i dont think there is any organisation like that in Ireland not sure about the uk,  does any one know of such an organistaion/program
Phil
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:42:51 AM by roiphil »