Author Topic: Welcoming Marie and Tony - Four Seasons Garden  (Read 2695 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Welcoming Marie and Tony - Four Seasons Garden
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
I posted this message on the forum on March 13th 2010.
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1363.0.html
My son had tipped me off about this fabulous garden he'd see on TV

I sent Marie and Tony an email and was delighted to get a reply.
I invited them to join our forum, and I am very pleased to say they have accepted my invitation and have registered on the forum under the user name "Four Seasons"

In an email today, Marie and Tony tell me they have visited, but it will take a little while to "get the hang" of the forum.
Meanwhile they have suggested that I should use the following text by way of introduction

We married thirty-four years ago and have always shared a passion for gardening. In 1982 we moved to our present family home in Walsall, in the West Midlands.

During the last 20 years we have totally re-landscaped and re-planted our garden to our design which has steadily evolved.

We wanted to create a garden to be used by the family and also to be exciting in all four seasons. In planting, we especially contrast bold shapes and forms and the colours red, blue and yellow. In particular we use bright and bold evergreens as a back-drop for flowers in spring and summer. In addition we have created a jungle area including tree ferns, palms, bamboos and banana plants. We find that timely pruning is the key to maintaining our garden.

Despite us both having busy day jobs until we retired in October 2009 .....and four children, we have done all the work in the garden ourselves without outside help. We have laid all the York stone paths and put in every plant but two of all that is present in our garden.
We have won the battle with weeds, built a chalet store, summer house, large wooden oriental pagoda, smaller pagoda and created three water features, including a cascading 17 metre stream.

We held our first public garden open day in October 2006 and were stunned when we had 268 visitors. During the last 4 years we have welcomed more than 4,900 visitors, raising £15,600 for different charities however since 2008 most open days have been for the ngs (National Garden Scheme) which supports many cancer charities. In 2009 we had eleven garden open days and were delighted with the high visitor attendance in all four seasons.

Some of our tropical themes were inspired by our travels abroad in Central America, India and China and our travel in the UK, in particular our visit to the Lost Gardens of Heligan.

Winter: We are pleased to have garden colour in the winter. For example, we use the colour red in the form of photinia, the red oriental ornaments and the red acer Senkaki stems and contrast these against the blue and yellow conifers and bright yellow hollies. Lighting in the trees creates a magical atmosphere, especially when plants are draped in snow. Winter flowers surge through in February with snow drops, crocus, aconites, cyclamen, hellebores and early camellias. The colour white is accentuated by the multi-stemmed Betula Jaquemontii. Other tree barks, including acer griseum, snake bark maples and serrula, give winter interest.

Spring: Tete a tete daffodils, primulae and camellia flowers dominate in March. In April, erythroniums, tulips, pansies and scilla are flowering. In May there is a stunning array of azaleas together with the new growth of acers and conifers. Other May flowers include anemone blande and muscari. Colour continues in June with foxgloves, aliums, poppies and lilies of various sorts.

Summer: The acers and conifers then provide the backdrop to display the summer riot of colour in the upper garden from flowers including pelargonium, begonias, impatiens and mass summer bedding. In August the perennials are dramatic in the lower garden and include astors, leucanthemum, liatris, agapanthus, crocosmia, rudbekia, thalictrum, helenium and phlox. During the summer the jungle becomes more exciting and children and adults love the mist and tropical bird sounds.

Autumn starts with the rich red colour of the Virginia creeper. This is quickly followed by the intense colour changes especially in the acers and azaleas. By late autumn the Japanese acer leaves have become become vibrant with scarlet and gold colours and they serve as ?autumn flowers?.

During 2010 we are holding 12 garden open days spanning the four seasons ........we must enjoy life being even more hectic and busy! "

Best wishes
Marie and Tony

Please join me in welcoming our new members to the forum :)

NightHawk

Re: Welcoming Marie and Tony - Four Seasons Garden
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Marie and Tony.

We're certain you'll find it to be a wonderful and pleasant experience.

There are lots of very enthusiastic and knowledgeable members here, who are always willing to help and offer advice whenever possible.

Enjoy your stay with us.  :)

Laurie.