Photography > Trees, Plants and Flowers

How to take photos of plants with "hard to capture" coloured flowers

(1/5) > >>

ideasguy:
This topic has arisen in another posting.
Eric (palustris) had posted this:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1367.0.html

I commented that he had done a good job capturing those blue flowers.
He explained that he shields the subject from the sun, or uses flash after dark.

I mentioned that I found it difficult to take decent photos of the blue form of Anemone blanda.
Eric replied to say:

--- Quote ---Insert Quote
Hepatica nobilis in its electric blue form is hard to get too!
--- End quote ---

Purple flowers can come out blue when uploaded! To my horror and dismay, I found some photos I'd taken of a pink Erigeron came out blue when uploaded :o

I also find it difficult to capture good photos of plants with white flowers. If not taken with care, they can be very blurred and lacking definition.

We have some very adept photographers on the forum (Eric being one of course)
Lets pull together a few tips in this topic.
Over to you folk ;)

Palustris:
Now funnily enough I find yellow flowers are the most difficult to take when the sun is shining. Shading them from the sun is one way, even the photographers' own shadow is enough.
When this has happened before I have played around with the Exposure, reducing it slightly until the 'glare' from the flower has diminshed enough for the picture to be sharp.

Palustris:
This is Anemone blanda and the colour seems about right

However on the same settings this is Chionodoxa lucillae and the blue is much too light.

Palustris:
The other method is to use 'Spot metering' on  a Digital cmaera and use that to get the exposure correct. Will try that when I work out how to do it with this camera.  ::)

Palustris:
These are the same shots taken with different Exposure values. (EV)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version