Author Topic: How Do I Use Plugs and Trays for Seed Starting?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline bossgard

How Do I Use Plugs and Trays for Seed Starting?
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
Phil AND Other Members of the Forum:

On a posting Phil made March 17, 2010, he made reference that he was using PLUG TRAYS for some of his seed-starts.

I have finally got my lighted seed-starting rack set up in my unfinished basement, and I think I?m going to be quite pleased with it. It will have plenty of space to hold the trays of seed-starts which I germinate by using expandable peat pellets in some smaller size domed trays that fit on top of my household refrigerator. The refrigerator seems to generate just the right amount of heat to get them started off nicely.

Sometime ago, an on-line order house that I purchase from, had some plug trays on sale, so I ordered minimum samples of three different plug trays: (1) 200 plant capacity ?1? sq. cells, 1-1?1/2? deep, (2) 72 capacity 1-1/2? diam, 2-1/4? deep, and (3) 32 cells, 2? diam. 4? deep. All three are supposed to have good drainage, the largest plug tray has grooves to inhibit root-spindling. All fit standard 10? x 20? trays.

I purchased a minimal assortment of standard trays: (1) No-holes flat, (2) Standard Flat with drainage holes, (3) Heavy Duty Lattice Flat (for making humidity domes) and (4) Domes to fit. So now I?m all set to start my seeds (I think!). But, none of this came with instructions.

Can somebody help me figure out WHAT trays and WHAT plugs I use with WHAT seeds? The seeds I need to start at present include; Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Eggplant, Lettuce. Peas and Peppers. I hope to be able to germinate the plug and tray combinations on top of my refrigerator, if they will fit.

In my greenhouse reference book, there are some pictures of plugs, but no descriptions as how to use. Any good books you can recommend or web-sites for information? There?s no indication of manufacturer on either the plugs or trays.

Also, what kind of seed starting medium do I use? Should I mix my own, or purchase it ready-made. There is a soil-less seed starting material called ?Stonewood Growing Medium?, anybody familiar with it? Supposed to have 98% success rate. Comes in plug sheets of 98 and/or ΒΌ? pot cubes.

Thanks, for the help!!

- Toby

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: How Do I Use Plugs and Trays for Seed Starting?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
Boss this is what i have done but dont forget plug trays here may differ in size i have 2 sizes 104 cells 35mm x 35mm x 45mm deep, and 180 cells 20mm x 20mm x 35mm deep, a cell is the square where you put your compost
For the larger seeds peas etc i am using 104 cells
for smaller seeds cabbage etc i am using the 180 cells but on reflection i wish i had used the 104 cells for these, here is a website link to the 104 cell size of trays i have
http://www.plantcell.co.uk/plug_trays.html

so going on your trays i would personally (my opinion) use the 72 capacity (these seem the closest size to my 104 your trays are just smaller in size) for all seeds as this will give the seed plenty of compost around them, you will see what i mean when your peas start to germinate, i feel it makes sense to use the larger size cell incase you can not plant outside when you hope to, who knows what the weather is going to be like for the week you plan to plant out and a larger cell will hold more compost thus keeping your plant better for a longer period.

I used shop bought multipurpose peat based compost, dont know what this stonewood growing medium is so sorry on that question, may do a search on it in a bit out of curiosity, you fill a plug tray with compost the same way you would a seed trays, i tend to fill it level it push compost down a bit then refill with more compost level and push compost down again but you will soon work it out so as the compost level is a little bit lower than the top of the tray but not to compact.

think that covers all if not just ask away
Phil

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »
Phil and Other Members who might be interested:

I just found all the information I was looking for on plug trays at this web-site. In fact, I also use these wonderful people with the extra-ordinary informative website for other supplies, but I didn?t purchase the trays from them. I didn?t think about them at all when I posted the question to the Forum.

In this demo, you will see the 72 plug tray, and the other trays, inserts, domes, etc., that I will be using with my seeds. It?s a great video demo, I think they did a wonderful job. Even told me what starting mix to use. I guess I?m well prepared after all. Thanks for your help, Phil.

http://www.territorialseed.com/Videos_Seed_Starting_2010

Enjoy!

- Toby

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:07 PM »
good find one to bookmark, and if i do say so myself i made a good guess on your 72 cell trays  ;D  ;)  ::)