Author Topic: I am having problem with Label program  (Read 7446 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
I am having problem with Label program
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:55:25 PM »
I don't really have any labels to print. But out of curiosity I started playing around with the label program, since I actually never opened it before and tried it out. Avery#5366.......

So I made a few label sheets in the program then wanted to print one out to see how it looks printed. The printer did it's work, but there was nothing on the paper aside the first line telling me which label it printed.
So I tried a another label I think it was the one with 16X2 same thing it only prints the top line and in preview It does not show the labels although I could see the filled in labels in the edit/fill program.

So I tried the next label Avery L7164 this time as I try to print it tells me 'unrecognized label' it won't print at all

next Avery 5523, it has a error message of 'no report for this option PrtLabels6 and won't print either.

I can make the labels in the program but I can't print any.

Am I missing something? My program version is 29 maybe something did not get updated properly and I need to re download?

On another note, which label of Avery is recommended. I saw some supposedly weather proof labels online which are supposed to be comparable in size to avery labels, printable by inkjet printer, others by laser printers at this site
http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/pageaverylabels.htm
I am wondering if anybody tried them. They are not the cheapest these kind of label sheets. So I really would like them to last.
Any comments on these?

Isabell

Offline diegartenfrau

Re: I am having problem with Label program
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »
I just tried another label to print.
Avery L7160 7x3. I filled the label in with the plant names, then edited. then went to print preview where the labels looked a bit different then from when I filled them.
Then I printed. This time it printed, it had the outlines of the labels and unfortunately only partly of the plant data it was supposed to have. It seemed to only print the first line of the plant name the rest of the label is blank. It did that with each single label.

So it prints, but does not print correctly
I must be missing some files

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »
I feel silly.
Just figured it out.

One needs to add data to the field below the smaller top field in the edit program. Then it seems to print it just fine.

I edited the name of the plant in the smaller field above and when I went back to the label it had changed to whatever I edited. So I thought that is all the edit and the box underneath is just to add more information if I want to.
Then when I printed it had a line of plant name on top but it did not look like the label  I was looking at.

Operator error>lol<

I still have one question the one label Avery L7160 which before had the name in bold on top. Now has the whole label  printed, but it still also has the plant name in bold on top. So my label says
Lettuce.......in bold on top
Lettuce.......in non bold letters on bottom. Why does it show both lines. the other label Avery 6577 does not do that?

Otherwise I think it is working just fine now. If I would have played with it just a bit longer before I posted.......

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
Isabell:

To quickly answer your question about the GA048 Label Program.  The Members of the Forum have been working with George testing various improvements to the Label Program, including RichText which is a special text program to be able to pick various things that we might want to use in making labels, such as text font, size, placement, etc.

I have been in contact with Ripped Sheets that was based here in Seattle, but has moved to a location east of the Cascades. I have and George has samples of their #10400, which we hope to test all together using the same photos, text, etc. to compare notes among the members as to how the label stock holds up to the various uses we might expose it to. This label stock is supposed to withstand extremes in moisture, light, etc. And, the plus is it can be used with regular Inkjet Inks. I?ll send you a sample sheet if you would like to have it. And yes, they are expensive, but George is considering perhaps buying stock in bulk and then selling it to software users.

There link is below:
http://www.rippedsheets.com/

I have some test labels out in the weather now, using that same #10400 stock along with Epson Durabrite ink. They are both color photo and text. They are still as bright as they were new, the adhesive is still adhering to the several different kinds of surfaces that I applied the labels to, and are lasting well into their second year now. I have been very pleased with the whole testing program for that stock.

I now George is trying very hard to take care of everybody?s requests for improvements to IG Pro 5 plus his work on BankGenie, and has expressed his eagerness to me that he wants to get back the label program and work with it. George, any comments . . .

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
First to answer Isabells question:
Avery L7160 7x3
Lettuce.......in bold on top
Lettuce.......in non bold letters on bottom.

The template for Avery L7160 7x3 prints the plant name in bold and the text you enter about the plant in normal font.
That option does not have rich text, so you cant change the output.
The only thing I can think of here is that you are seeing the beginning of the next label.
Do a print preview and you will see the outline of the labels and where the font is printing.
Have you done a print using the L7160 label stock?
If you are not using 7x3 then that could also cause the problem you have described.

Toby:
I'm looking forward to resuming the labels project. As you can see its one of the Sessions on the Veg Project ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:00:31 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
Isabell:

For pot-stics, for marking my seedlings, I'm using the layout Avery #6577, 16x2, 5/8"x3", it just fits the white plastic supports that I have on hand. I have blank label stock on hand, but I can order them from Staples, #6577, total 1600 labels for $42.99, probably plus shipping charges and sales tax. I've been using that particular label for the past two years. Works fine for my job!

- Toby

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »
After reloading my IGPro I wanted today print out my labels. Now it seems not to be working anymore. I got some label sheets and new plastic labels in the for Avery #6577 size right before my hard drive failed and I printed out a test sheet to see if the data would fit on the new labels. It all printed out fine then and was the perfect sized label.

Today when I wanted to print it, first after I selected the Avery #6577, it keeps telling me the label is not recognized. I tried another one and it said the same thing, but some other labels did came up in the print preview. I also get system errors sometime when I close the chosen label page. And the program goes to the green screen.
could it be that I lost my label files and need to re download those?

since I was planning to plant some vegetables today, I guess I need to use my good old hand held Brother Labeler instead

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
Did you try downloading the latest program and labels from the product support website?

In Ideas Genie Pro, click the button:
Ideas Genie on the Web
It takes you to the product support website.

Heres the direct links:
1) Labels program GA049:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/GA048-dl.exe

2) Labels:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/labelcds-dl.exe

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
Isabell:

I printed out a sheet of new seedling labels using US #6577 last night, and everything worked fine.

Did you check screen GA48S01, after doing the links George provided.
I'm running ver. 29, which as far as I know is the current one. Is that the version number on your screen?

Let us know by a reply posting, that you have succeeded in printing your labels.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:58:25 AM »
I received this email from Isabell this morning (in relation to the advice I gave to do the latest downloads as above):

That fixed it. I still had these files on my old hard drive and when I had problems I re installed, but it still had problems. Something must have been missing.

Thanks George

The lesson to be learned here is that if you have to re-install software (e.g. Ideas Genie Pro in this case) then be sure to do the latest downloads to install the most recent version of programs.

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:35 AM »
See, maybe I just don't understand all the finesse of this computer world yet. ;)
 I thought because I updated IG Pro to the newest downloads before my hard drive failed that after I reinstall and then recover my data from my old hard drive it would have all the newest improvements in there, and it did in some way. It did show me the label I wanted, it just didn't know it had the label. My guess is that when I recovered the data some small parts of the file must have been missing. But I am n o computer expert, so I might be wrong.
Anyway redown loading it from the website fixed it.

thanks. I printed some labels out yesterday. I am eager to try them out in our rain.
I got my labels from this site http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/wl-ol200.htm
anybody tried them out? It says they are weather proof vinyl. They fit perfectly on those plastic label holders I got on E-bay.
I hope they will last, since the label paper is not cheap.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 03:40:29 AM »
If your labels are marked as having permanent adhesiive, I think you might have a chance with them.

If you are using regular inkjet ink, I have found that you should print only in black ink and give the ink plenty of time to dry.

It all depends on the finish on the front of the label, the wonderful lady at Ripped Sheets, explained to me that on their label stock there is a special coating made of 'sand', which evidently locks the REGULAR INKJET ink onto the surface of the label. The have a less expensive stock than what we plan on testing, but it does not have as much of that coating on it.

Also, you might remember, that I'm using Epson DuraBrite Ink, and Malcolm has it too, I believe. Although you will have to find an Epson printer that takes that ink, I don't think they are out of line on their pricing, and same with the DuraBrite ink.

When we get to Session 11, we will find out. I would suggest you do the best you can for now, with what you have.

Good luck on your label printing.

- Toby