Author Topic: What did Santa bring?  (Read 2911 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
What did Santa bring?
« on: December 25, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
Everyone gathered for the traditional Christmas stockings thing "back home" and the exchanging of pressies on Christmas morning. 

Simon took my 25 (?) year old Technics stereo kit away for repair (it was blowing a fuse) and presented it restored and fully operational again. The guy at the shop said they don't make them like that any more. Anyway, I'm absolutely delighted.

The Glen Moray bottle is almost finished, Eric, but my nephew gave me a bottle of "The Glenlivet"! All in all it should keep the flu at bay for a while!

So, after the Christmas feast, music and wine is the order of the day!

Hope you are all enjoying Christmas!

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: What did Santa bring?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
What did santa bring, 1 engaged daughter, 2 spin outs on the lane both yards from the house, and i dont even drink, the snow had been melting it rained and froze the following morning, managed to get up the lane in 4wd as it is an upward hill, a good 2 miles of ice on the lane, travelled there and back no problem, got 200 yards from home and just spun round ended up front end facing 1 Hedge rear end facing the other hedge, once you get past the point of no return just sit back and enjoy the ride  ;D, that was on christmas day,

then yesterday took the son back home and did exactly the same coming from the opposite direction this time a wall in front  :o stopped about a foot from the wall, not too bad today all starting to melt now

Hope nobody else had any hair raising experiences  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
That is really hairy scary, Phil. Luckily you came to rest without the assistance of that wall :o

No more Gung Ho driving for me Phil. Once I experienced my mishap on ice a few days ago I am counting myself lucky that no one was injured.

Congratulations to your daughter Phil! I'm sure that was a lovely surprise to add to the Christmas joy.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
Congratulations to your daughter Phil.

I'm pleased to hear your hair-raising moments on the ice had happy endings.

No mishaps here thankfully (touch wood  :D).  We've been a couple of little hermits and kept sung and warm in our house.

Snow is actually melting here now, just odd patches of snow and ice left.

We've got a respite from our decorating visitors for the moment, but will be arriving again soon.  ::)

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »
Congratulations Phi on your daughter's engagement l. I am glad you survived you hair raising experiences! ::)

Anthea and I stayed at home and let the family come to us. One lot on Christmas Eve and the other lot on Boxing Day. The third lot are of course in Canada but they flew to Florida to keep warm over Christmas.

We had our great grandson Zack with us too on Boxing day so I can't resist posting a picture or two. He was with us six hours and never produced one grizzle or whimper :)

Ham and cold turkey

Walking off the ham and cold turkey

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »
sounds as if everyone had a good time, and no spin outs  ;D , the daughter has not set a date yet

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:19:27 PM »
Nice to see your family managed to brave the elements and make it "home" for Christmas, Eric.
I can see Anthea chatting at the table, and I can recognise Benji!
As usual, the man with the camera remains anonymous ::) Never mind, its lovely to take lots of photos and have then to look back on later.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
A new computer with Windows 7 which is proving to be a challenge. BUT the Interweb connection thingy WORKS!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
That is fantastic news Eric!
We've missed you a lot since you went off the air!
What exactly is your web connection? Is it the same provider, but the computer allows a better connection?

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
The Glen Moray bottle is almost finished, Eric, but my nephew gave me a bottle of "The Glenlivet"! All in all it should keep the flu at bay for a while!

That seems pretty good too George  ;). I am glad your nephew is well trained  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »
This Christmas, Ive only got round to enjoying some of last years presents!
Since the Hi-Fi is back to full working order, we played a Rolling Stones CD entitled "Forty Licks". A much appreciated present!
We went out for a meal last night and had intended to go for a walk later. The (side) road at the restaurant and the footpaths were so treacherous that we decided to watch TV instead!. Having seen enough of the Royle Family, we opened another present from last year Planet Earth as you've never seen it before - The Complete Series narrated by David Attenborough. We watched the first DVD (of five).
Three episodes on that DVD.
1= From Pole to Pole 2= Mountains and 3 Fresh Water.
Absolutely fascinating. Such amazing photography!

That Glenlivet may mature a while yet!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:31:54 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »

Thats strange George.
i bought Planet Earth for Christmas, for ourselves. Amazon £9.75 for the five disc boxed set brand new not S/hand.

I also bought a new telly a few weeks ago, to replace our 20 ish year old CRT one.
Got a Sony 32" lcd again from Amazon with 3 year Sony warranty.
To do justice to the new tv, also got a Freesat box. Already have a motorised dish, and of course the Freesat box does the HD programmes.

The telly is networked to the computers upstairs, you can pull up pictures stored on the computers from your armchair, also music in mp3 and wma  form, also video, but not had a real good look at that yet.

The Freesat box is a Humax one, and I am very lucky to be able to trial a Beta of BBC iplayer onto the telly, the beeb released the beta just before xmas, all you need is an internet connection to the Humax box.
I can report that the iplayer is working well on the tv, Lyn missed Three men in a boat, and we were able to watch two days later on iplayer. No stuttering at all on high quality.

So that all made up for only getting £10 worth of Xmas boxes from my customers in the very busy month or so leading up to xmas  :'(

Malcolm  alias Mr Gadget  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:45 PM »
Just checked out FreeSat Malcolm. Looks good!
Santa brought us a Sky receiver and 1 year subscription last year (but not Movie, not Sport - not enough me to get the benefit)
Freesat looks a better option! Santa know how to find a bargain ;)
Enjoy your pressies. Planet Earth is just fantastic.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
On the subject of presents from previous years, when the son went to the Italian grand prix about 3 years ago he bought me back a Jenson Button T Shirt when he drove for Honda, it is still in its plastic wrapping (not worn and i dont intend to) i like to keep things this this as momentos, is it worth anything now Jenson is F1 world champ  ;D, I also have pint glasses from years ago still in their boxes un used, the ones that say worlds greates dad and comments like that