Author Topic: Install problem  (Read 4092 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
Install problem
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
Hi George, or should I say HELP George ;D

this seems to be getting almost an annual ritual for me. Instead of playing with my programs, now it is Winter I am fixing things on this  machine, which I sometimes think is more trouble then it is worth the fun to be had on it.  ;)

I have to reinstall my program again after with the help of my husband (who is supposed to be computer savvy >lol<) I got a bad virus on my computer, which messed with all my .exe files, so none of my programs worked anymore and I could not uninstall anything. I was trying to download a share program, which didn't seem to download and my husband trying to make it work turned off all my computer protection, Firewall, Virus protection. I had a feeling that wasn't a good idea :(

The only good news in all that is, that I got a new, better computer with a massive hard drive. :)

So now I installed the Ideas Genie Pro 5 on this new computer and tried to register it, but it won't accept my License #, it tells me I have the wrong License #, but I know it is the right one. I think it is because it's still registered to that old computer, where I can't access the uninstall files anymore. So I think maybe it needs to be reset on your side, or is there anything else I can  work around this?

Luckily I have my back-ups on my flash drive and they are pretty recent. I hope restoring the data back will not result in another fiasco like the last time. I have all the info of the e-mail exchange how to restore/backup, Swap data base in front of me, thinking that will save me this time, just so I come to another problem. It's never easy, with these computers.

Can you reset my license #, or do I need a new one?
I was hoping to be able to play with the Ideas Genie this week end, but this won't be possible now.

otherwise, I am doing fine, I have not worked a lot on the program this summer, been too busy in the garden, (which after the fact is a good thing, because I hardly lost any data this way). I was redesigning my vegetable garden this summer and put everything in raised garden beds. I am trying to get the hang of Winter vegetable gardening. This year the snails got almost all my winter vegetables  :'(
We had a huge crop of snails this year. At least something is growing ::)

We got some chickens, which has been a lot of fun. Chickens are almost like  dogs. They jump for joy, just like the dog when I come outside and they ran towards me, where ever I go.

I think I need to retire from working around the house and garden before I really can play with the program. I never seem to find enough time for it.  >lol<

I hope you can help

Greetings Isabell

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Install problem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
Hi Isabell
Its great to hear from you again and it would be great to have you visiting to tell us more about your gardening in Oregon.
Having a property which is suitable for growing vegetables, flowers AND hens is definitely what I would class as "des res"
Do you use that expression in US? (means desirable residence)
Up the road from you (way up the road!) we have Toby (bossgard) in Seattle and he is like minded. He would like to see more chat about veg gardening on the forum so perhaps you two can get things going. I made a "restart" this year to veg, with my son and daughter in law and it was a roaring success. They are hooked and I'm delighted. They took over a "fallow" part of my garden and it was very fertile.

OK, onto your plea for help.
You cant use a licence to register on more than one computer, so what you reported is quite expected.
I'll reset your licence so you can register on your new computer.

Data:
If your new computer is Vista or Windows 7 then you must install your data under the user profile.
As you have two databases, do this:

Restoring Database 1
We will use the Restore program in IG pro to restore your main database into the Core (empty as installed) database.
Insert your Flash into the USB port
Under System tab, start the program System Paths-GA197
Beside Backup Folders, click Get a folder for Backup Folder No 1
Search and select your database on Flash
Click Save Changes

Now start System>Restore Files-GA203
Make sure Restore TO is set to Core data folder
and Restore From is set to Backup Folder No 1
The folder name under Backup Folder No 1 should show the data folder on Flash (as set in GA197 above)
Click Step 3 do test and continue with restore

Restoring Database 2
Start IG Pro
Under Help, Start the program About Ideas Genie - GA200
Note the information shown in Item 6 (Core data folder)
Copy that line of data (its a folder path) and email it to me.
I will then reply with my suggestion for a location for your second database

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
Hi Isabell:

What a delight to hear about and from you.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your ?former? computer, and hope you and George can get everything back up and running for you.

Yes, George is right, I am ready and eager to talk about vegetable gardening with you and anybody else that will listen and talk back. Like you, I?m just coming back to my computer after not touching it for quite awhile. Yesterday, I started to enter some vegetable seed data that I had purchased late this past season. Didn?t have time to do it then ? and I couldn?t remember how to enter it on the computer!  I felt like a dunce!

I would like to mention to you, that George and I, and other Forum Members, are in the process of testing printed labels ? THAT LAST!  And, they are all generated from and on the computer. The combination that is lasting for a several years now for me is a special label stock available locally here and Epson DuraBrite ink!

But as soon as George can get back to re-writing GA048 (he?s been busy working on his Bank Genie) that will include RichText in the software, we (with others that are in the UK) are going to test some more special stock, from the same supplier. George has samples there, and I will send you a sheet from here, if you want to join with us, that are supposed to work with regular INKJET INK. Then we won?t have to worry about what kind of printers we all have. If we can agree on size, we can order label stock in bulk and save money. I used that ink/stock combination for labels in the vegetable garden this past season, and they are still bright and shiny as if they were just printed. Color lasts too! I have black/color (data/photo) labels still out in the weather that I made several years ago, still bright and shiny, and sticking to their surfaces.

About a week ago, I planted some Crimson Clover as a Cover Crop for over winter, and looked at the seed this morning, and sure enough it has sprouted. I?ll till it in early next spring when I start to prepare the soil. Should put some nitrogen back in the soil.

Vegetable Gardening is sure catching on, witness the White House lawn. I have learned a lot this past year. Please join with us on the Forum!

- Toby

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:49 AM »
George,

I wrote you an email, with the license # I have on file, just in case I wrote it down wrong, so you can review it. I also described the problem I had.

I also replied to the rest of the message, about my garden adventure last season, but I posted it in another section of the forum, I think it was the Our garden-general discussion section

hope to talk more about gardening, instead of computer problems soon

Toby, Yes we need to talk more about vegetable gardening. To the White house garden. I think it is really neat. I signed the online petition for it. This White House lawn in my opinion is such a waste of perfect land. I think it made a lot of people start a vegetable garden, seeing Michelle Obama doing it

Isabell

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »
Ive replied to your email, Isabell and that should get you up and running immediately.
I think we'll be talking about gardening real soon!

Nice to see you and Toby are talking "vegetable gardening".
I'm delighted to see you've started a new topic and for anyone following this discussion, heres the link:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php?topic=1272.msg8496;topicseen#msg8496
Yes, I can indeed see that you are a busy gardener!
Having noted that, I very much appreciate the time you have taken to write that very detailed message to get things going. Theres a lot of points which will generate a wide range of discussion e.g. That Oak tree, gardening on a steep slope, etc etc