Author Topic: Fuchsias in Ireland  (Read 25187 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Fuchsias in Ireland
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
Me, being me, I kept the parent plant (cut back in summer to try and trigger new growth) and have several cuttings- all dropped leaves during summer as I described.  I scratched the skin on the parent and I think (will check) it was not green.  If so, not a good sign.  All said, because of it's native growing habits, it would surprise me with the care it was given (too much maybe!).  I e-mailed Phil.

It looks like Ireland of later here- not the usual sunshine:-(  Fruit trees all pruned and 2/3 of dormant spraying done (foggy but no rain helps).

Thanks,
Scott

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 10:26:11 PM »
I cut my Fuchsias of that variety to 2 ins from ground each spring and they push up new stems, so with luck if you do the same they may respond Scott.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
oh dear, the demise of the irish fuchsia  :'(, but maybe not, scott you emailed me sorry did not receive it but anyway, i do the same as george cut down to practically ground level after frosts have gone and hopefully it should survive, maybe you are giving it to much care, dont forget it came from a cutting i took from a roadside hedge that gets a trim once a year by a tractor and that is it, be mean to be kind  ;D

As to why they lose their leaves just like that i dont know, overwatering, fetilizer, could be a cause

Phil

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
Fuchsia cuttings dropping leaves - temperature extremes, I find they do shoot from the base not always but worth a try.
Paul.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
Thanks for that info, Paul and Phil.
Hopefully Scott will keep us informed if the plant returns this year.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
Don't give up Scott. We have a big old fuschia which we cut down to about 6 inches. This year, after all our snow and ice it looked as dead as a dodo. I  tried to test one or two stalks but they seemed dead. I was almost for having it out when, very late in the season, one or two buds appeared and suddenly it all sprang into life again.