Author Topic: Fuchsias in Ireland  (Read 25100 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Fuchsias in Ireland
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
Ive received an email from a member of the the Sacramento Branch of the American Fuchsia Society.

As you may well know we have a very beautiful variety of Fuchsia which practically grows wild in the South West of Ireland.
Has anyone taken cuttings or propagated from those plants? If you succeeded, please let us know your propagation method.

Next important question, does anyone know the variety of those plants?

I grow Fuchsia magellanica in my garden and its as near as you can get to that variety (I think!)
I also grow the white (more like pale pink) variety:
Fuchsia magellanica 'Alba Aureovariegata'       

Any photos folk?

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Fuchsias in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:29:53 PM »
Round here we have the red floweing fuchias that grows in hedgerows took softwood cuttings last year, (i dont think they had any previous years groth on the cuttings) and they are doing well, as for the variety red flowers green leaves  ;D  ::), will take a pic of the plants tomorrow,

all i did was to take the cuttings about 4 inches long remove bottom leaves and any flower buds, and just stuck about 2 inches in a pot full of sand that had been really compressed down and made sure they were well tight in the sand and left to mother nature, i seem to have more luck if i dont fuss over any plant  ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:55:01 PM »
Those are indeed the plants that catch the eye of all visitors to Ireland Phil.
Would you mind taking a few cuttings tomorrow and putting them in the post?
I'd like to try and propagate from them.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
will do regarding cuttings i shall just cut some branches off and you can work away on them, would rather put in post on monday, if i put in post today, they will just sit in a sorting office somewhere, for some reason posting to up north genearly takes a day longer for the person to receive, to wet your appetites some pics

plants

flowers note the purple middle

Excuse quality of bottom pic, picture taking is not my forte, pm me your address george cant find it anywhere  ::)

does any one have a name for this fuchsia

Phil

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
I loved those wild fuchsias growing in Western Ireland. I remember them especially on the opposite side of Dingle Harbour. I am talking about three visits between about 1961 and 1974 and they have always stuck in my mind. We have one very vigorous one here, still in full bloom which reminds me very much of the Irish wild fuchsia but the flowers are slightly larger. That of course may just be due to it growing in garden conditions.

This is a copy of a Kodachrome transparency of our eldest son Adam in 1961 in precisely that spot

Eric H

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
yep they certaintly do look fantastic in the hedgerows there are hedges all down our lane with fuchsia, really colourfull till about august time which is hedge cutting season  :(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:09:55 PM »
Thats great Phil! Monday is a good idea!
Is that a close up of a flower of one of the ones growing in your lane?

Nice photo of Adam Eric, and a nice view of the estuary further in the background.
I'm sure that picture was "composed" to get such an excellent shot ;)
That was a bit of good research to dig that out!

Thanks very much - very much appreciated all!

As you see, Scott (our new AFS contact from CA, USA)  has now registered as a member.
He's a bit apprehensive about forums, so please make him welcome folk!

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »
Hi-
I'm a new mamber and the person who contacted George re my interest in an Irish fuchsia.  I had in mind on my last visit to Ireland to return with a cutting so that I may have an interesting item in the garden to show and for me to have a living memory of my visit(s).  I came w/a zip lock baggie and with all my efforts, the cuttings didn't root.

I wonder if anyone has had success with such efforts or if you have good ideas for successful mailing of cuttings (hardwood I'm guessing might have the best chance).  I have ideas on what to do with such cuttings once they get here (cut again and have final cut below node).

Thanks in advance,
Scott

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 08:31:50 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Scott.

I'm sure your expertise will be invaluable here, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »
And a big welcome from me too, Scott.

Eric H (not to be confused with Eric [Palustriis] who has been a membermuch longer and is more experienced than I am !)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:49:56 AM »
George the flower is a pic i took yesterday from one of the cuttings which i took last year which came from the fuchsias down the lane so in theory yes

Scott, welcome to the forum, regarding sending plants in post to uk, in southern ireland you have to be registered to send plants to uk one company is http://www.futureforests.net/, big brother and customs strike again  ::) (i am hoping that Georges cuttings will arrive ok) If you ask George nicely he may send some of mine onto you, crazy i know but thats the system, with up north being part of UK

As for getting the cuttings to root i took mine in about June/July all i did was to take the cuttings about 4 inches long remove bottom leaves and any flower buds, and just stuck about 2 inches in a pot full of sand that had been really compressed down and made sure they were well tight in the sand, placed in cold frame and left to mother nature, watered when needed, i seem to have more luck if i dont fuss over any plant, as you say hardwood possibly now, but i am sending George a good choice of branches to turn into various forms of cuttings

I could start a good side line here every time i come to uk, bring some plants and post in the uk for delivery in the uk  ;D  ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
Thats great Phil and welcome to the forum Scott.
I'm delighted to see you posting here. Fuchsias are fantastic plants and do exceptionally well in these isles, in many applications - open ground, containers and hanging baskets. We have a huge range to choose from.

Sending cuttings are probably best discussed in emails  ;)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:42:29 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
cuttings out of a newspaper  ;D  ::)

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
Hi-
I'm listening to what I know to be the only live Internet radio out of Ireland (coming from Co Mayo) and will contemplate efforts on seeing Irish fuchsia examples here in California.  Not the same climate of course but as I speak it looks like Irish sunshine (rain) is brewing.

I thought the variety (one in particular?) along the laneways would suvive my journey but my last effort didn't work.  I was quite surprised to see so many familiar plants growing in Ireland but I guess the climate is fairly mild and just a bit more moist (especailly of late?).

I have my areas of interest and dabble in a number of things so hopefully this perspective will be of help to others.

Phil- are you anywhere near Mitchelstown?
Thanks to all,
Scott

Offline roiphil

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
Scott
Near Limerick about 60 miles from mitchelstown

I thought the variety (one in particular?) along the laneways would suvive my journey but my last effort didn't work
should have cut a bigger branch off  ;D just dont them them fellas in yellow jackets at the ferrry ports stop you for a search  ;D  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »
ONe of the first expressions I learned was "eeejit" so it's not the yellow jackets I fear  :o

OK, I usually visit (among other areas) the far corner where Counties Tipp, Cork, and Waterford meet and saw my share of fuchsias along the country roads.  It was when I was in Co Fermanagh that I took on my first samples.  I also do some research around Rathkeale, Co Limierick.

The wee bit of Irish sunshine and humidity that accompanied is doing the fuchsias well in the yard.

OK, off to see some wild fuchsia territories- the Sierra Nevad.

Slainte!
Scott

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »
Would this be the place?
http://www.sierranevadaphotos.com/index.asp

Be sure to take some photos Scott!

Offline roiphil

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »
ONe of the first expressions I learned was "eeejit" so it's not the yellow jackets I fear  :o

I also do some research around Rathkeale, Co Limierick.

Slainte!
Scott

If its not the yellow jackets, it could be the irish drivers round these parts why do they take up 2 parking spaces in a carpark, or is it the guards that hide behind trees with their speed trap guns

Rathkeale 15 minutes up the road from me if you know the country lanes

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
That is the area George but they weren't serving fuchis berry jam :P We did continue to see familiar areas at an elevation of 4ooo' ( I only mention that because I don't think the mountains of England or Ireland reach that and it might be interesting to consider).  The weather started to turn so didn't take photos but headed down to the Valley again.

Phil- I blended right in with the drivers and my radar didn't point me to any of my traveling ancestors.

Thanks,
Scott

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »
Mount Snowdon in Wales reaches 3,560 ft. Here in N Ireland our highest peak is Slieve Donard at 2789 ft.
Theres a few photos in this topic posted March 2006:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,133.0.html
I climbed Slieve Donard once as a schoolboy on a school "expedition".
There was heavy cloud that day and visibility was very limited.

For all that I saw there I might as well be
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea
(Percy French)

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »
I'm not recognizing those areas but knew there were some neighborhoods that received snow in Ireland.  The communitiy that I stopped yesterday was about 1/2 way to the summit before you drop to Lake Tahoe.  I haven't looked them up but there are some perennials that suvive the winters in the Sierra and they have fuchsia as part of their common name- I have my doubts that they are true fuchsias.

Very nice photos of scenery, family and friend. 

I made a point of seeing the apparent origin of the Irish Yew and saw some nice rhoddies at Powerscourt but do you know if azaleas and gardenias are common in Irelan (or England)?  I think I saw some azaleas at Mockroos (sp?) House in Killarney.  They are commonly planted together here (at least on the West Coast).

~Scott

Offline Scott

'Tinker' Fuchsias in Ireland
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 01:37:51 AM »
Hello everyone,
I hope 2010 is treating you (and your gardens) well.  I made use of some dry weather by pruning some more on my peach which gave me less to spray.  I need to next work on the nectarine but I do see bulbs sprouting so it gives hope to brighter days!

I looked at a Fuchsia Society in Ireland (their website) but I couldn't find an e-contact.  I think it was based out of Dublin but I wonder if there is e-contact for someone that can ID the 'Tinker' Fuchsia that is common on the roadsides (Phil has a photo of one but there might be others).

Happy New Year,
Scott

Offline Katie

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:29:11 AM »
So interesting to read about your native fushias in Ireland! 

On the other side of the pond, over in Washington State (USA), we love hardy fushias as well. In fact, the claim is made by the Hardy Species Fushia Society, that my local Arboretum has the largest public collection of hardy fushias in the world.  To top it off, it was just established in 2009.  That claim should give rise to an interesting discussion of who has the largest collection! 

Anyone living or visiting in the area can check out our website (oh, yes, I am on the Board) to plan a visit and check out the fantastic fushias.
http://www.lakewildernessarboretum.org/
Only 5 more months till bloom time starts!

And check out this cool site:
http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/

Ah, looking forward to spring already.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 07:34:15 AM »
Mount Snowdon in Wales reaches 3,560 ft.
And when I was younger I walked all three boys to the top! I have an old slide, which I have scanned, taken about 1974. No fuschias though!

Eric H

Offline roiphil

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
may have found the name for that fuchsia GENII

http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/diaryaugust06.html

http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=1722

It looks very similar to my pic, possibily wrong, i do have a book called irish gardening for all seasons by Dick Boyce and it does mention these fuchsis that grow along the lanes in co. kerry. there is a picture of the exact fuchsia but it does not give a name unfortunately

Have just sent email to Dick Boyce http://www.boycesgardens.com/index.htm to see if he can put a name to it
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:27:19 PM by roiphil »