Author Topic: Fasicularia bicolor  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Fasicularia bicolor
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »

A bit late flowering, should be late summer.

Here is a description of the plant which is taken from the Telegraph website. Written by John Hoyland

Most of us know bromeliads as plants from tropical rainforests with tough foliage and showy flowers. They are grown in this country as houseplants and you'll occasionally find them in bouquets from glitzy florists. So not the sort of plant that springs to mind when trying to bring exoticism into the garden - and certainly not in autumn. However, there is one member of the family, from the coastal forests of Chile, that can be grown outside in Britain. It not only makes a startling garden plant but also comes into its own late in the year: it is Fascicularia bicolor.

Most bromeliads are epiphytic - they grow on the branches of other plants without being parasitic - but fascicularia are terrestrial, living on the forest floor. To protect themselves from grazing animals they have evolved tough, hard-to-chew, usually spiky foliage. Not even llamas are tempted by them.

The leaves of F. bicolor are characteristic of the genus: long, thin and leathery with soft spines. As the plant grows it forms rosettes that clump together to make an impressive mound. (The Latin word fascicularia means "clustered together in bundles".) Typically a deep olive-green, the foliage is content to bulk up and look unpromising for its first two years, only acquiring its silvery sheen and vivid autumn colour with age. Towards the end of summer the bases of the leaves on maturer plants begin to turn red and after a few weeks most of the leaf becomes bright crimson. A bud then forms in the centre of this rosette which opens into a pale-blue flower. Such an improbable combination of colours would be outlandish at any time of year; surrounded by the sombre tones of autumn it is even more astonishing.

The wild plant has leaves up to 3ft long. Tresco Abbey Gardens on the Isles of Scilly has very large plants that are so happy with the climate and growing conditions that they almost form ground cover. But most of us have to be content with much smaller versions.

Growing tips

Good drainage is essential, so dig in lots of grit or grow fascicularia in a raised bed. Don't be tempted to enrich your soil as this will encourage lots of leaves and few flowers. After flowering the rosettes begin to die but new ones quickly form from the base. Pull away the dead foliage to prevent disease spreading from the rotting leaves. Mine grow very well in a partly shaded bed but they are best in full sun.

In the 1950s the RHS said that fascicularia could only be grown in the warmer southern counties of England. Today it is successfully grown throughout Britain - I have seen healthy specimens thriving in South Yorkshire - perhaps because of changing climatic conditions. It will withstand temperatures down to at least -10C as long as it is not in wet soil. If you live in a very wet area consider growing it in a large pot and keeping it in a cold greenhouse during the winter.

Good companions

Fascicularia look best when grown with other hardy tropical plants that have the same cultivation needs. The hardy agaves, A. parryi and A. schidigera, echo its domed shape and taller yuccas such as Y. filamentosa make an effective backdrop.

If you grow fascicularia in pots try to group them with other exotic-looking plants such as aeoniums, aloes and echeverias

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Fasicularia bicolor
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
Nice plant and a brilliant photo Malcolm. It is a very interesting choice!
From that description, its perfect for your back garden 8)
Do you grow it in a pot or have you risked one in the open ground over winter?

Thanks for posting! Its been very quiet recently.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »

The plant is in a pot  which is sunk into the ground for summer, brought it into the greenhouse 2 days ago as we have been having a lot of rain.

Thanks for posting! Its been very quiet recently

Had 23 repair calls to make last week and spent several evenings altering my computer room (play room)  ;D as relaxation.
Also re wallpapered and painted the bedroom in spare time the previous week, carpet to fit when it arrives.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:34:46 PM »
Stop man, stop  :o
Have to make sure my better half doesn't look over my shoulder and read about all those things.
I had promised to do some "such things" in November. I'm still entrenched in new edition of Bank Genie ::)

You are phenomenal :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Carpet arrives on Thursday.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »
and Bank Genie continues...  ::)

Well, the good news is Ive released another download for Barry and my nephew to test.
I'm now writing Help. Documentation is NOT much fun!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »

and Bank Genie continues... 

I for one, miss the discussion on the forum about the updates you and Barry have been putting in place.  :'(

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:51:59 PM »
There will be plenty of news about that very soon Malcolm.

Working full time on this since opting to leave my day job means exactly that! I don't know how I found the time for all this stuff beforehand :D
I wish I could move at your speed :)

I keep the forum opened as I work, of course, and its great to see your postings. Much appreciated Malcolm, especially when you have such brilliant photos of interesting plants.