Author Topic: Fatsia japonica in flower  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Brian Denison

Fatsia japonica in flower
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
Due to the mild October and little if any frosts in November so far my Fatsia is looking the best it has ever been. It is in full flower right now - see picture below. Unfortunately the flowers and the new shoots are usually killed off  when the really cold weather arrives but the plant itself survives and grows new shoots in spring. This particular Fatsia is unusual because it is variegated.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Fatsia japonica in flower
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
Nice one Brian :)
It certainly has been a very mild autumn and early winter.
Reading your posting I think we are similar in that we have had a little frost on a couple of nights, so things are doing remarkably well here.

I rescued my Fatsia from the dustbin! My wife had discarded it, so I planted it in a corner. Its still going and about 5 or 6ft tall.
Must have a peep tomorrow to see if there are any flowers!

That variegated variety sounds like a nice plant. I haven't seen one of those before.
They have very handsome foliage, don't they! I love my plain green variety, and I'm sure that variegated one of yours is a star.
You have yours in a more prominent site than mine.

Its not meant to be a Hardy Plant. Have the goalposts moved with this global warming?

Offline Brian Denison

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
You are right George, Fatsia is a bit tender but my garden is reasonably sheltered. I have however lost this plant once but took the precaution of taking a cutting before it died. The plant in the photo is the cutting taken some years ago but now in the back garden in a more sheltered spot. The original Fatsia was in the front garden and has been replaced by a non variegated form and has survived several years. I have to say though that the variegation is only slight and has got less over the last few years but I am reluctant to remove leaves that have reverted - what will be will  be.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »

I am afraid I have never liked the flowers, so as soon as the buds appear I snip them off our non variegated one. Sorry.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »
I snip them off our non variegated one
:o
I'm too busy snipping other more offensive things in my garden ;D

If I were you, I'd take cuttings of the parts which have best variegation Brian, just to keep it in existence :)
I have to say Ive never taken cuttings of a Fatsia before. What sort of hit rate did you get with your cuttings?