Author Topic: October 09  (Read 1697 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
October 09
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:14:25 PM »
Its the last day of the month so better make a record to say that this has been one of the best Octobers I can remember.
Its like a summer day here today (Irish standards of course!)
I'm cutting the grass :o
The grass was wet(ish) in places when I started but I'm now in the back garden doing the open spaces - its quite dry and cutting beautifully. It was great in the side garden for gathering up all the leaves form my Ash and Rowan trees.
Coffee break over! Hey ho, hey ho....

NightHawk

Re: October 09
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »
Got our grass cut 2 days ago.  Although it's getting very damp on a morning now, and the grass was still wet well into the afternoon, I raised the cutting blades on the cylinder lawn mower and it cut just fine.

Glad we got it done then, as today (per the weather forecast) it's raining heavily.  Won't get any other gardening done today.  Long-range forecast not too good either.

Before much longer though we need to plant some grass seed in various areas of the rear garden, to fill in some bare patches.

We'll just have to dive out there when the rain stops. Ho-hum  ::)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: October 09
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »
Yes, its been raining all morning here, Laurie.
I bought some more Tulips yesterday and have to get them planted next week. Ive dug up a few shrubs and I'm enjoying having patches of bare soil for a change! Planting opportunities abound.

I stripped all branches and foliage from a medium sized Holly (Ilex) tree and a large Pittosporum.  Behind them was my favourite Clematis - Nelly Moser.
What pleasant surprises were found.
Dozens of self seeded Pittosporum. I didn't know THEY self seeded!
But the nicest surprise was to find that there were a number of self layered Nelly Moser plants!
Ive dug one up and transplanted it, and have 3 in pots!
I have never managed to propagate a Clematis from cuttings, so that was a much easier method ;D

Once cleared, Behind them
I was n clearing a