Author Topic: Death of Christopher LLoyd  (Read 2599 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Death of Christopher LLoyd
« on: March 05, 2006, 06:47:05 PM »
I don't remember if I have ever written you about the book containing the correspondance during one year between Beth Chatto and Christopher Lloyd from Great Dixter. Yesterday morning I was reading the RHS magazine 'The Garden' and tout à coup I experienced a rather strong shock discovering the obituary of THE LATE Christopher Lloyd. He died last January. I had enjoyed that book so much that reading a message like that gives me a feeling of loss. By the way: he was the example for the global moderator at the Forum: grumpy, but keeping his mind open, especially for the needs of the young people he wanted to surround him with. Perhaps the moderator (still 9 years older than his example) too will leave silently..., following the Master.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Death of Christopher LLoyd
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:54:32 PM »
Too soon to talk about morbid things like that, Frodo   ;)

Sorry to hear about the great guy, Christopher Lloyd.
Heres the great man himself on the Great Dixter home page:
http://www.greatdixter.co.uk/
Grumpy? Surely not - he looks an approachable kind of old guy.

Did you see the photo of the poppy 'Christopher Lloyd' which I posted on the forum? Its a real beauty! (and not at all grumpy)
Its one of the nicest plants I seen last year. Still trying to find a source to buy it.
Great Dixter?
Nope, Ive just downloaded the Plants List from their site (above), and its not mentioned.

Following all the hype about Beth Chatto on this forum  :)  I went in to the library and made a request for one of her books.
Perhaps it was a misunderstanding, but I now have 4 Beth Chatto books out on loan from the Belfast Public Library. All I need now is time to read them!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:02:03 AM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »
In the context of Christopher Lloyd the word "grumpy" has - to me at least - a positive connotation. Of course the man was approachable, but in my eyes an old man hás to answer to the archetype of that paradoxal personage: someone who had seen a lot, knew his onions, was colourfull enough to be grumpy when he thought it was necessary and who was very considerate in his attitude to other people (f.i. the young ones who stood open for his learning, f.i. his kind relationship with Beth Chatto,...).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 02:12:32 PM »
Have yo u been able to negotiate the Great Dixter web site to see the photos and details of the garden?
Its a bit... unusual.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »
Unusual...? How do you mean, George?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »
Unusual navigation.
When I viewed, there were buttons for "Next" and "Previous" , but they didnt have captions.
Also, had to use inner scroll tab to read all the text asociated with a particular set of photos